Operating Engineer-Heating and Air Conditioning, CMSRU (Camden) Facilities
Job no: 494653
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Camden, New Jersey
Categories: Facilities - Maintenance
Appointment into this title will be provisional pending open competitive examination and procedures as established by the NJ Civil Service Commission. To receive a regular appointment, the selected candidate must be reachable for appointment within applicable “Rule of 3” Civil Service regulations and veterans preference procedures upon completion of a statewide examination process. Failure to be reachable for regular appointment into the Operating Engineer Heating and Air Conditioning title may result in separation of employment from Rowan University.
- Under supervision at the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (CMSRU), takes a leading part in the operation, maintenance, adjustment, and repair of air conditioning and heating systems and auxiliary equipment; does related work as required.
Examples of Work:
- Takes the lead in the work involved in the operation and maintenance of boilers, engines, turbines, motors, generators and auxiliary equipment used in power and heating plants.
- Operates, maintains, and makes minor and emergency repairs to varied types of generators and motors, feed and vacuum pumps, blowers, and governors controlling the rate of fuel consumption.
- Periodically conducts comprehensive tests and takes readings of fuel consumption pressure, draft conditions, temperatures and steam flow, and other recordings.
- Receives, stores, safeguards, records, and supervises the use of equipment, materials and supplies.
- Maintains the records and files of the power plant.
- During emergencies and/or equivalent failure, ensures safe, efficient operation and maintenance of power and heating plants and related equipment.
- Reports fuel and water consumption and reports excessive usage.
- Visually inspects piping and equipment for problems and makes necessary repairs.
- May oversee the installation of new equipment and/or modification of existing equipment to operate at peak energy efficiency.
- May recommend changes to operating procedures to improve efficiency.
- Operates, adjusts, and maintains HVAC equipment that include air handlers, exhaust fans, chillers, and cooling towers.
- Operates and maintains reverse osmosis system
- Operates, maintains, and is willing to continuously learn the functions of a building automation system.
- Adheres to the safe and proper use of hand and power tools at all times.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Two (2) years of experience in the adjustment, repair, operation, and maintenance of air conditioning and heating plants and auxiliary equipment.
- Appointees must possess an appropriate Operating Engineer's license (Blue Seal minimum), issued by the New Jersey Department of Labor, as of the closing date of this announcement.
- Appointees must possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the positions.
Work Hours (Please note that the currently listed shift and availability of same are subject to change to meet the operational needs of the department):
- Sunday through Thursday, 11:00pm-7:00am
- In addition to regularly scheduled work shifts, the successful candidate must possess the ability to work days, nights, weekends, holidays, and overtime hours when required.
- Range C18 ($46,936-$53,355)
- Only completed, online applications submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
Please note that this position is subject to the NJ First Act, requiring public employees to establish residency in the State of New Jersey. See N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70) for further information.
Advertised: Oct 2 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Feb 19 2021 11:55 PM Eastern Standard Time