CIRES/NSIDC Software Developer
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We AreThe National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) part of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado at Boulder, serves as a national information and referral center in support of snow and ice research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and services, and is a leader in research and development within this field.
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system. https://cires.colorado.eduWhat Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Work within a team to design, develop, and maintain software applications, tools, and infrastructure to support cryospheric data management
- Participate in full life-cycle software development, including planning, design, implementation, integration, testing, and support
- Evaluate tools and methods in order to propose and implement solutions that effectively meet project requirements
- Work with project team members (project managers, subject matter experts, and operational staff) to translate customer requests into working software
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.Be StatementsBe Empowered. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, engineering or other physical science
- Occasional travel (3-5 times per year) for meetings and workshops
- A solid foundation in software development including testing and debugging.
- Experience with BitBucket, GitHub or similar hosted revision control system.
- Desire to be part of a scientific data management center and to learn more about the domain
- Willingness to work in Kanban, Agile, and Scaled Agile
- Willingness to work in a pair programming environment
- Open minded and eager to learn, especially about cloud-based solutions
- Familiarity with cloud-based data storage and services.
- Experience working in a macOS or Linux development environment.
- Experience with continuous integration.
- Experience developing and deploying via virtual machines or Docker containers.
- Understanding of geospatial data and mapping applications.
- Familiarity with Earth Science data and research activities, especially cryospheric sciences
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you.
- If you are selected as the finalist, we will contact you through email and request that you submit 1 name and email of a reference who will be asked to submit a letter of recommendation (can be one of the 3 noted above). This information will be kept confidential and viewable only the search committee.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Position will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name: J. ReevesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]