Postdoctoral Research Associate
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-08-03
The Agaisse Lab is advertising post-doctoral positions available for training in the field of bacterial pathogenesis. The Agaisse Lab studies the intracellular pathogen Shigella flexneri, which causes approximately 270 million cases of bacillary dysentery (blood in stool) worldwide every year, resulting in more than 200,000 deaths. A multi-disciplinary approach will be undertaken to understand the mechanisms supporting the disease, including molecular and cellular microbiology, high-throughput imaging, live confocal microscopy, bacterial and host cell genomics, bioinformatics and the use of newly developed and unique animal models of pathogenesis.
- Full-time research or scholarship at the University.
- Preparatory for a full-time academic or research career
- Supervised by a senior scholar, and allows the appointee to publish the results of his/her research or scholarship
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- MD or PhD in Immunology or related field.
- Strong background in molecular and cellular biology.
- Experience in the use of in vivo mouse models.
- 1-2 years of tissue culture experience with cell lines and primary cells.
- A strong track record of publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- A strong work ethic with a high level of self-motivation and the ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Strong communication skills.
This position is restricted and contingent on the continuation of funding.
Anticipated Hiring Range: Up to $60,000 yearly.
This is a 12-month position as a Postdoctoral Research Associate. Learn more about this designation here: https://postdoc.virginia.edu/postdoc-resources/employment-and-benefits
To apply please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for "R0016160". Complete the application and upload your CV/Resume and a cover letter. Internal applicants should apply by logging into Workday and typing in "Find Jobs" in the top search bar. Questions about the position or application should be directed to Lauren Jackson, UVA Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org. The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.