Program Director - Essential
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jul 1, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports To: Director of the Art Museum
Organization: Academic Affairs
Supervises: Part-time student employees
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Director of the Art Museum, the Program Director is responsible for developing and managing digital and on-site public programs, community engagement, marketing and communications, exhibition materials, documentation, and publications, budget administration, and hiring, training, and supervising student employees.
This position advances the goals set out in the Mills' Strategic Plan by cultivating an inclusive and equitable campus, advancing community-engaged programs, raising Mills' visibility, and leveraging technology to improve learning and outreach.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Programming and Community Engagement:
- Organize and manage public events at the Art Museum and digital activities including panels and presentations, including developing content, working directly with visiting artists and speakers, overseeing hospitality, and managing staffing and audio/visual needs.
- Build an inclusive culture of engagement through programming that actively promotes diversity, gender and racial justice.
Marketing and Communications:
- Oversee marketing and public relations for Art Museum exhibitions, programs, publications, and events, including writing press releases, posting on-line event listings, contacting press, creating email announcements, and managing the museum's mailing lists and digital marketing platforms, including social media and digital advertising partnerships.
- Work with the campus web team to update and maintain the museum's website.
- Direct creative strategy and manage content and publishing schedule for the museum's social media and digital content platforms, including the museum's Medium blog Glass Cube.
- Working with a contract graphic designer to develop printed and online materials for exhibitions, including signage, announcements, distribution, brochures, posters, etc.
- Oversee the production of printed and digital publications related to the museum's exhibitions and collection, including copy editing, securing images, coordinating with authors.
- Hire, train, and supervise student employees, including gallery sitters and publicity assistants.
- Process and track invoices, honoraria, catalog sales, and other payments; reconcile museum credit card.
- Manage visiting artist program logistics.
- Schedule and maintain photographic/video documentation of exhibitions and events.
- Work closely with students in connection with the Senior Thesis Exhibition and the MFA Thesis Exhibition.
- Respond to telephone and email queries regarding exhibitions and programs.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Public relations procedures and appropriate media outlets
- Graphic design and publication production processes
- Social media and digital platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, Medium, etc.)
- Microsoft Office, Photoshop, PowerPoint, InDesign or equivalent imaging and graphic design software
- Interpersonal skills, including tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships.
- Ability to meet schedules and time lines assigned; ability to plan and prioritize.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects requiring independent execution.
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's Degree in Art History, Studio Art, or Museum Studies, Master's Degree desirable, or equivalent in experience.
- At least four years of arts programming experience, preferably in a college or university art museum.
- Experience supervising students and volunteers in a museum context.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Work occasionally involves physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds.
- The workstation is located in an open office area. Interruptions and meeting with a variety of people will be required on a regular basis.
- There are a number of deadlines associated with this position, which may cause significant stress.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is $54,080, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Application Deadline: August 17, 2020
Application review will begin August 17, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Start Date: As soon possible and no later than September 30, 2020.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.