Assistant Coach Men's Basketball
Assistant Coach Men's Basketball
Posting #: 2625
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Athletics, Administrator
Position Title & Department:Assistant Coach Men's BasketballPosting #
As part of the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic University, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to advancing academic and athletic excellence and enhancing students' lives while promoting the University of San Diego.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
The Assistant Coach for Men's Basketball assists in the development and implementation of both the educational and the athletic components of the NCAA Division I program. This position also assists in creating and implementing the general business operations of the program.
Assist the head coach with teaching and coaching:
- Assist with the organization, planning and implementation of daily practices.
- Direct on-court coaching responsibilities (as assigned by the head coach).
- Assist with the development and improvement of player skills. Work with individual players before and after practice, when requested.
- Teach out-of-season, individual skill sessions, staying within the NCAA regulations for individual player workouts.
- Video breakdown - evaluate game-by-game offense, defense, and player personnel. Watch and critique video with players as a team and individually.
- Prepare scouting report for assigned opponents and present the report to the coaching staff and team when requested.
- Assist in the identification and recruiting of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes for admission to the University with adherence to admissions and athletic department policies and procedures.
- Pass the NCAA Coaches’ recruiting test annually.
- Attend assigned summer recruiting sites and enter information into the recruiting data base.
- Identify and evaluate high school and junior college talent through evaluation at games, tournaments, and film.
- Weekly phone conversations with prospects.
- Junior recruiting—Identify prospects and follow-up as requested by the head coach.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date phone logs, evaluation and contact reports through the utilization of Scoutware.
- Review, sign and return phone, evaluation, and contact reports to compliance office.
- Request transcript and test scores from recruits and follow up with appropriate calls to registrar and high school counselors.
- Work directly with the USD admissions liaison and director of compliance in an effective and efficient manner.
- Home visits - Assist head coach with preparation and presentation. Participate in home visits when requested.
- Unofficial visits- coordinate unofficial visits in keeping with appropriate NCAA regulations.
- Official visits – Coordinate official visits, including travel, coordinating the involvement of current players, arrangements for meals and entertainment. Arrange for academic meetings with faculty members and for visitation to an academic class with one of the players. Provide tours of campus.
- Respond to leads and inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Involvement with all administrative and organizational aspects of NCAA Division I program under the supervision of the head coach.
- Supervision of players in a coordinated and planned program of practices and competition, with a concern for the players’ health and welfare, physical and psychological preparation.
- Serve as the liaison to the Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and Student Services and follow up with recommendations or requests.
- Submit countable athletically related activities report to the compliance office at the end of each month.
- Possess knowledge of and adhere to all University, NCAA, and conference rules and regulations, policies and procedures, with special attentions to recruiting, eligibility, admissions, and financial aid.
- Enforce University and athletic department policies and regulations with regard to use/abuse of alcohol and drugs by team members.
- Assist with the preparation and budget projections for the yearly competitive schedule for approval by the Vice President for Athletics and the Senior Associate Director of Athletics. Consideration should be given to the academic life of student-athletes, i.e., missed class time, examination periods and other factors that would adversely affect their academic success.
- Maintain professional growth by attendance at appropriate meetings, clinics, workshops, etc.
- Assist with the layout and content of social media outlets.
- Assist in the organization of any team and/or department awards presentations for student-athletes.
- Assist head coach with the scouting of opponents.
- Watch video of opponents requested by the head coach.
- Provide detailed, written reports, and include information on offenses, defenses and individual tendencies, and any other information requested by the head coach.
- Establish a video exchange program and provide video of as many scheduled opponents as possible. Respond to video requests from other programs when appropriate.
- Scout team. Put opponent’s offense together for simulation.
- Watch the NCAA Rules and Officiating Video each year and sign off on the NCAA required forms.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- At least two years of basketball coaching experience, preferably at the college level.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations strongly preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with athletes, members of the University community, San Diego community, and all media.
- Possess good management skills.
- Ability to understand the goals and responsibilities of running a successful athletic program at the NCAA Division I level.
- Represent the University in a professional and responsible manner; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Adherence to and appreciation for NCAA/conference/league regulations and ability to instill those values in subordinates and students.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Heartsaver CPR /AED certification required. Must have this certificate within 6 weeks of employment.
- Must pass NCAA Division I Coaches Recruiting Test, (yearly). Must complete this within 6 weeks of employment.
- California driver’s license required within 6 weeks of employment.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to travel for extended periods of time for athletic contests and recruiting activities.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Personal computer, Microsoft Office, general office equipment, video editing equipment
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]Additional Details:
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: June 29, 2020 Pacific Daylight Time