Senior Vice President for Enrollment & Strategic Communication
Senior Vice President for Enrollment & Strategic Communication
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA), in partnership with the search firm Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Senior Vice President for Enrollment & Strategic Communication. PAFA has a multi-level mission, serving both the School and the Museum, and the Senior Vice President (SVP) will work to strengthen the position of all of the branches of PAFA and the institution overall. This newly structured and elevated position reports directly to the President & CEO. The SVP serves as a member of the President’s cabinet and participates in institution-wide strategic planning and policy development for both enrollment and strategic marketing communication. The SVP has responsibility for the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategic marketing plan aimed at utilizing a variety of media, both traditional and digital, to increase enrollment, visitors, and membership, as well as to increase auxiliary earned revenues including facility rentals and retail. The SVP will also be responsible for the development, implementation, coordination, and evaluation of the institution’s strategic enrollment initiatives and outcomes while providing vision and leadership to the institution in all areas of enrollment management as well as strategic communication.
The successful candidate will partner with PAFA stakeholders including the Board of Trustees, senior leadership, the Dean of the School of Fine Arts, the Edna S. Tuttleman Director of the Museum, the Vice President of Public Education and Engagement, Director of Events, academic leadership and faculty, curatorial leadership and staff, and colleagues to achieve strategic goals.
PAFA and the Community: With over 200 years of experience training artists, PAFA nurtures the artistic development of our students through degree programs in undergraduate and graduate fine arts education. PAFA offers a world-class professional education that focuses exclusively on the success of the emerging fine artist. Our priority is the quality, comprehensiveness, and relevance of a fine arts education to develop and pursue an artistic vision wherever it may lead.
Founded in 1805, PAFA is America's first school and museum of fine arts. The School is accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education and National Association of Schools of Art and Design, and the Museum earned reaccreditation from the American Alliance of Museums. A recipient of the National Medal of Arts, PAFA offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the fine arts, innovative exhibitions of historic and contemporary American art, and a world-class collection of American art. PAFA’s esteemed alumni include Mary Cassatt, Njideka Akunyili Crosby, Thomas Eakins, William Glackens, Barkley L. Hendricks, Violet Oakley, Louis Kahn, David Lynch, and Henry Ossawa Tanner.
Our Community: Once the original capital of America, Philadelphia has a past enriched with culture, history and symbolism. The city is a melting pot of races, traditions and immigrant cultures and also possesses amenities that only the city's own heritage can provide. It is the home to the Liberty Bell and the Declaration of Independence, both tributes to the city's evolution.
Widely known as Philly, but formerly known as the City of Philadelphia, it is the largest city in the state of Pennsylvania. It holds the following statistics: it is the sixth most populous city in the US, the fifth largest city area by population in the US, the US's fourth largest consumer media market and ranks 49th as the most populous city in the world. There are nearly 1.5 million people in the city alone.
Cultural, culinary, artistic and multicultural treasures abound in this city and its surrounding countryside. From some of the very finest and diverse restaurants, museums, major league sports, theaters, to philanthropic organizations, Philly has it all. Residents have access to the best facilities known to a modern city environment and community including four centuries of history and architecture, beautiful neighborhoods, remarkable museum collections, gorgeous green spaces, and endless shopping. After the sun sets, the city heats up with acclaimed performing arts, amazing dining and vibrant nightlife.
The Position: The SVP will oversee and be responsible for the leadership, management, and direct supervision for the offices of: Admissions, Strategic Marketing and Communications, and Student Financial Aid. They will provide leadership in designing the institution’s enrollment and marketing/communication strategies and is expected to make sophisticated use of high-quality data-driven, evidence-based enrollment decisions, utilizing best practices in enrollment management. This will occur while inspiring others throughout campus to work and serve collaboratively in achieving enrollment goals while improving retention and graduation rates. The SVP must be innovative and adept at promoting current academic and student-centered programs, as well as bringing forth recommendations for new recruitment and enrollment initiatives, marketing and communication strategies, financial aid leveraging strategies, retention, tuition net revenue strategies, and academic programs that match PAFA’s mission, resources, and market demand. With a team of eight, this position will craft social media, marketing and messaging plans to serve individual department needs to implement an annual master marketing research plan that provides insight into exhibit offerings, visitation and membership drivers, pricing strategy, and audience demographics. Relationships are critical to this role, the SVP will establish partnerships with outside organizations to develop marketing and promotional opportunities and actively attend events in the community. In addition, this position serves as Staff Liaison to the Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees and reports to the School Committee of the Board.
Qualifications: To be considered for the position of Senior Vice President for Enrollment & Strategic Communication, the ideal candidate should have the following:
- 8 years of experience in enrollment and marketing/communication, preferably within higher education, arts and culture, or related areas with multiple revenue streams;
- Master’s Degree;
- Considerable experience in data-driven enrollment operations that result in sustained growth in enrollment, diversity, academic quality, and increased retention and graduation rates;
- Track record of developing and implementing marketing strategies to drive increases in attendance and membership throughout the year, increase awareness of an institution’s programs and mission;
- Experience with all forms of institutional publishing and communications, including editorial of all media and supervising website and other digital content;
- Experience positioning an organization both internally and externally and raisings its profile, through various media, with its current constituents as well as with new ones;
- Working knowledge of current methodologies in enrollment management, admissions processes, institutional marketing strategies, and strategic media relations;
- Entrepreneurial spirit while at the same time, deeply collaborative;
- A strong understanding of marketing research skills and financial aid leveraging;
- Experience in implementing and improving a comprehensive enrollment and marketing/communication plan;
- The ability to work with Deans, faculty, alumni, currently enrolled students, the administration, and other partners in bringing together an Institution-wide enrollment management structure and environment.
Application and Nomination Process: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts has retained Scott Healy & Associates to oversee and manage the entire search process. All applications must be sent to:
Dr. Scott F. Healy, President
Scott Healy & Associates
Applicants must apply electronically by a word document and include:
- Cover letter outlining experiences and success in the areas indicated in The Position;
- A complete and up-to-date Resume;
- Names of 5 professional References with title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No reference will be contacted without written permission from the candidate)
Applications submitted by July 31, 2020, will receive priority consideration. An anticipated start date for the selected candidate is October 5, 2020. The search process will remain open until the position is filled.
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts is constantly seeking to become a more diverse community and to enhance its capacity to value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. PAFA strongly encourages applications from persons with diverse backgrounds.