High Voltage Maintenance Electrician
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Director of the Power Plant or designee, the High Voltage Electrician/Co- Gen Engineer is responsible for the operation, repair and maintenance of all electrical systems, motors, controls, high voltage (13,800 volts) generation, switching and distribution equipment and systems. Performs all electrical work as required, and operates boilers, turbine generators, turbo motor compressors, and all related auxiliaries when required. Performs repairs to boiler, turbo generators, pumps, etc.
- Maintain specified power plant equipment such as pumps, compressors, boilers, turbines, etc.
- Plans, supervises and assists in the operation and maintenance of high voltage (13,800 volts) primary switchgear and distribution system including double-ended substations.
- Assists in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of high voltage (13,800 volts) switchgear, electric switches, exciter, electric meters and other electrical equipment and apparatus.
- Assists in the operation, maintenance and repairs of uninterruptible power supply (UPS) system, associated battery banks and load-shedding system.
- Participates in the recording and checking of electrical meters and making of electrical tests as to load response and power factors.
- Maintains two (2) 3125 KVA and one 600 KVA electrical generators.
- Maintains a log of station operations.
- Assists electrical contractors servicing high voltage equipment and subordinate high voltage electricians.
- Operates all high pressure steam boilers with superheaters, economizers and auxiliary equipment
- Operates all steam turbine generators, condensers, condensing water pumps and other related auxiliaries, synchronizing Mass. Electric’s cables with the generator when necessary, logs observations. Performs minor electrical functions (changes fuses, bulbs, check circuit breakers etc.)
- Operates all centrifugal compressors, motors, condensing steam turbine drives, condensing water pumps, chilled water pumps and other related auxiliaries. Logs observations.
- Operates a large cooling tower and fans serving the turbine and refrigeration systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance, cleaning and repair of all power plant equipment and instrumentation.
- Ability to take readings on all power plant equipment.
- Performs maintenance as required on all power plant related equipment, boilers, turbines, pumps, etc.
- While in the performance of routine duties; may be required, as needed to perform all work associated with all maintenance trades of an equal or lower graded classification; where the work or task does not require a specific license.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must possess a First Class Fireman or higher Massachusetts License.
- Must be a licensed electrician in Massachusetts.
- 2 years experience in operating/maintenance in a modem power plant.
- 5 years experience in high voltage distribution and switching gears.
- Knowledge and ability to operate and maintain electric generating station equipment and machinery.
- Thorough knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions peculiar to this particular skill.
- Ability to detect and locate causes of electrical failure and to repair breakdowns under adverse conditions on an emergency basis; take electrical meter readings, and make electrical tests as to load, response and power factors.
- Possess the theory and application of good safety practices around high pressure, high voltage systems (13,800) volts and rotating equipment.
- Possess the theory, application and experience in the operation and maintenance in the operation of refrigeration and condensing team turbine driven centrifugal compressors, evaporators condensers and related equipment
- Possess the theory, application and experience in large high pressure boilers equipped with superheaters, economizers, dual fuel systems, pneumatic combustion controls and flame scanners.
- Skills in working with the tools and equipment of the electrical trade as it pertains to switching and distributing high voltage power generated in a central power plant.
- Ability to read electrical and electronic schematic diagrams and troubleshoot electronic equipment.
- Knowledge in the maintenance of power plant equipment; clean boilers, replace bearings in motors, overhaul turbines, overhaul air comp. Feed pumps, fans, chillers, and all other power plant auxiliaries.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
Under the general direction of the Director of the Power Plant or designee
Exercises working supervision over and assists a small number of employees engaged in operation, maintenance, and repair of high voltage (13,800 volts) generation, switching and distribution equipment and systems.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
May perform work in all Medical Center facilities and is subject to possible exposure to chemicals, gases, electrical shock; may work in confined spaces on ladders. Ability to perform physically arduous tasks; normal dexterity, visual acuity, ability to lift up to 50 lbs., ability to climb and work from ladders and scaffolding, and work in confined areasAdditional Information