Graduate Assistant, Women's Swimming
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-06-17
Job Description SummaryThe assistant/graduate assistant provides assistance in all phases of coaching the Division II women’s swimming program including; student-athlete recruitment, meet preparation, player evaluation, academic coordination and practice and meet coaching. Also provide administrative support as assigned.Job Description
Duties and Tasks:
Assist in all aspects of the student-athlete development and performance of the women’s intercollegiate swimming program to include:
- Implementing and coordinating the recruitment process
- Organizing, recruitment/evaluation of student-athletes
- Instructing and supervising practices and player conditioning
- Providing appropriate leadership, direction, and supervision relevant to the academic progress and personal development of student-athletes within women’s swimming program
- Creating a positive and productive environment for the student-athletes
Assist with the administrative functions with the women’s intercollegiate swimming program:
- Coordinating travel for team trips, recruiting and official visits
- Monitoring academic progress of student-athletes
- Participate in promotional and public relations to advance athletic programs by:
- Representing the Department of Athletics at designated University, departmental and community functions
- Serving in public relations capacities as needed
- Encouraging staff and student-athletes to participate in community service activities
- Promote the University’s core values to student’s, co-workers and university community
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- There would be work with the men’s program in described areas from time to time
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of coaching swimming techniques
- Basic knowledge of pool chemicals and water testing
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Must be accepted and enrolled in a Saint Leo University Master’s degree program.
- Leadership skills
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills to deal with recruits and their parents
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to motivate student-athletes
- Ability to effectively work with collegiate student-athletes
- Ability to recruit student-athletes
- Demonstrated ability to use computer programs
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success.