Instructor of Africana Studies
Posting DetailsWorking TitleInstructor of Africana StudiesJob Summary
The Africana Studies (AFRS) Program at Savannah State University (SSU) invites applicants for a full-time instructor position effective August 1, 2020. As the oldest Historically Black University in the state, SSU strives to cultivate the growth of students beyond academics. The AFRS program promotes this mission and seeks scholars who specialize in Africana Studies from a range of perspectives. As an interdisciplinary program, the ideal candidate has a diverse background as well as a broadly defined record of professional and personal development.
The successful candidate will teach four (4) undergraduate courses per semester. Applicants who are able to teach courses in other Social and Behavioral Science disciplines and have experience in reinterpreting historical sites are invited to apply. The successful candidate may be directed to perform job related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this description. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.Minimum Qualifications
- Terminal degree in Africana Studies or related fields including History, Criminal Justice, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, English, Jurisprudence, etc.
- Prior teaching experience in an Africana Studies Program.
- Demonstrated commitment to classroom teaching and community activism.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain majors and minors to the program.
- Experience teaching first generation and non-traditional college students.
- Demonstrated record of community engagement and mentorship within and outside of the classroom.
Background and/or credit check may be required.Preferred QualificationsSpecial Information to Applicants
Savannah State University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative-Action Institution committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, genetics, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status. Georgia is an Open Records State.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been uploaded to the appropriate section.
Complete application online; https://jobs.savannahstate.edu; cover letter that includes professional affiliations, community outreach and mentoring activities, current vita, transcripts, and name, address, telephone number and email address of three references.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to submit three (3) letter of recommendation before their interview.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Apply by July 6, 2020 for full consideration. The position will remain open until the position is filled.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Savannah State University Website
- Savannah State University Employee
- * Do you have a terminal degree in Africana Studies or related fields including History, Criminal Justice, PoliticalScience, Psychology, Sociology, English, Jurisprudence?
- * Do you have prior teaching experience in an Africana Studies Program?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Other Document