Postdoctoral Research Associate - Fisheries Ecology
Position InformationPresent Position NumberF0110VRole TitlePostdoctoral Research AssociatePosition TitlePostdoctoral Research Associate - Fisheries EcologyPosition Summary
William & Mary’s Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate in fisheries ecology to work with Drs. Mary Fabrizio and Troy Tuckey in the Department of Fisheries Science. VIMS (http://www.vims.edu) has a three-part mission to conduct interdisciplinary research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, educate students and citizens, and provide advisory service to policy makers, industry, and the public. The School of Marine Science at VIMS supports masters and doctoral programs within four academic departments: Aquatic Health Sciences, Biological Sciences, Fisheries Science, and Physical Sciences.
The successful candidate will join researchers in the Fabrizio Lab to develop and apply methods to understand connectivity of fish populations within the Chesapeake Bay, particularly among subestuaries of the Bay. We are especially interested in understanding the role that connectivity plays in maintaining sustainable fisheries in the region.
Long-term data from ongoing resource surveys at VIMS are expected to be leveraged in the analysis of population connectivity. Possible methods include the application of state-space models, as well as field-based and lab-based methods such as acoustic telemetry and otolith microchemistry.
Position responsibilities include:
- Development of a research plan that addresses one or more of the topics of interest
- Development of conceptual approaches and sampling protocols
- Collection of data from field and lab-based studies
- Analysis of data and statistical modeling
- Preparation of reports and manuscripts describing results.
- Coordination of meetings with the research team
- Presentation of results at scientific conferences
- Discussion of results with management agencies and other interested groups such as the Sustainable Fisheries Goal Implementation Team.
The project will involve travel to meet with managers and to present at scientific conferences, as well as to accomplish field-based studies as necessary.Required Qualifications
At the time of appointment, the successful applicant will have a PhD in fisheries science, marine science, or similar, with a research focus on fish ecology in large, complex ecosystems
Competencies and Experience
- Experience leading others in the sampling and handling of live fish in the field
- Experience processing fish in the laboratory for tissue samples, age determinations, or similar
- Strong quantitative and modeling skills are required
Competencies and Experience
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Experience analyzing large data sets from multi-decadal fisheries research surveys
- Experience applying statistical models (e.g., GLMs, GAMs) to fisheries data
- Experience developing and using spatially explicit models to describe aquatic species distributions
- Demonstrated computational abilities using R, MatLab, or SAS
- Strong communication, team building, and organizational skills
For full consideration, application materials are due by July 5, 2020; however, applications received after this date will be reviewed if necessary.
Application materials should include:
1) a cover letter identifying availability for this position
2) a 1-page statement describing relevant experiences and research interests
3) a pdf of a peer-reviewed publication
4) a full curriculum vitae
5) the names, addresses (including titles and institutions), email addresses, and telephone numbers of three references.
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.EEO Statement
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Research Statement
- Attachment 1
- Other Doc