Human Resources Partner
Posting DetailsVacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleAdministrative Support SpecialistBand LevelAdvancedWorking TitleHuman Resources PartnerSalary Range$31,200 - $53,083Anticipated Hiring Range$42,000 - $46,000, commensurate with experienceSalary Grade Equivalency63Position Number00106422Work ScheduleMonday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pmDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department170601 - PhysicsDepartmentPhysicsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Physics is currently composed of approximately forty tenured/tenure-track faculty who perform creative, highly visible research in fundamental and applied science. Our faculty blend fundamental physics and applications, theory and experiment, and integrate research and innovative teaching to create a vibrant intellectual atmosphere within a welcoming and collegiate environment.
For more information on the Department of Physics, please visit our website: https://physics.sciences.ncsu.edu/Essential Job Duties
This Human Resources Partner position is responsible for executing the personnel activities for the Department of Physics, in the College of Sciences following Federal, State, University and College policies, procedures, and rules. The HR Partner handles details of highly confidential and critical nature. A high level of professionalism, confidentiality, follow-through, and attention to detail is required. Candidates for the position must have a proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks and HR functions with competing deadlines and priorities.
Primary responsibilities for the HR Partner include, but are not limited to:
- Managing permanent and temporary faculty, staff, postdoc, visitor, and no-pay appointments for the Department.
- Serving as the primary point of contact for departmental personnel.
- Serving as a collaborator with the College Human Resources Office, OIS (Office of International Services), University Human Resources, and other University Offices.
- Interpreting human resource policies and procedures as well as advising employees and department administration.
- Compiling faculty annual reports and compiling and uploading documents to google drive.
This position reports to the Business Officer.
Inclusiveness and diversity are critical to the success of the College of Sciences and the University. The selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is supportive and welcoming of all groups.Other Work/Responsibilities
Perform general administrative support duties as needed including coverage support for ½-day per week for faculty in Partners II/III.
Duties while at PII/PIII and in Riddick Hall, as needed, include answering phones, distribution of mail and packages, coordinating coffee/tea/cookies at colloquium and seminars, and support with external events hosted by the department.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
High School Diploma or equivalency and one year of related office experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.Departmental Required Skills
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally, in writing and over the telephone. Correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and composition plus strong editing, proofreading, and listening skills are essential.
Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively by planning, organizing and setting reasonable priorities: includes attention to detail, meeting deadlines and excellent follow-through.
Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal or no direct supervision. Takes extra steps to prevent mistakes or create opportunities.
Demonstrates the ability to exercise good judgment when evaluating different alternatives, use diplomacy, maintain confidentiality, and discern sensitive issues.
Able to adapt behavior, opinions, tactics, and strategies to different situations, individuals, or changing priorities.
Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, word processing, and spreadsheets or similar software.
Strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism and discretion in dealing with sensitive information.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related discipline.
PeopleSoft HR experience.
HR experience handling postdoc, temporary, student, visiting, adjunct and faculty appointments.
Three years of experience in an academic environment with administrative experience of increasing variety and/or complexity.Required License or Certification
Applicants should be prepared with a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 professional references.
Please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history listed on your resume.Job Open Date05/18/2020Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)05/22/2020Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/07/2020Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Administrative Support Specialist position.
- High school diploma/GED and at least one year of office support experience
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field
- Combination of post high school education and/or experience in office support to equal at least 1 year
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and office support experience to equal 5 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 4 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Please describe the human resources responsibilities and/or duties you independently perform(ed) in your current or previous position(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References