Adjunct Instructor – Undergraduate Education Hiring Pool
Job no: 492297
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Adjunct, School of Education
Advertised: January 17, 2020
The School of Education at Maryville University hires part-time faculty on an ongoing basis to teach undergraduate education courses. Qualified applicants will be placed in the departmental pool and will be contacted as openings become available. There is no need to contact us; this is an ongoing pool. The Adjunct Instructors are primarily specialists in elementary, early childhood education or specific, individual content areas.
Adjunct Instructors have the privilege of working with diverse groups of individuals. We seek colleagues who embrace this opportunity with respect and skill.
The School of Education is accepting applications for an academically/professionally qualified adjunct faculty member to teach undergraduate courses on-ground. We are particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Attend all required School of Education meetings and professional development as indicated by the Dean of School of Education;
- Demonstrate effective and varied instructional practices that promote an Active Learning Ecosystem for all learners in the classroom;
- Provide students with an approved syllabus that includes course outcomes, policies, assignments and evaluation criteria;
- Evaluate student performance in meeting course outcomes through assignments, projects, and discussion;
- Provide feedback in a timely manner regarding student progress on course outcomes;
- Promote instructional strategies approved by the School of Education that can reach a wide variety of learners, as well as expect higher-level thinking skills;
- Promote and sustain positive working relationships with our teacher candidates;
- Respond to all emails, phone calls, questions and other inquiries in a timely manner (within 24 hours preferred, with 48 hours required);
- Be available for student consultation through scheduled appointments;
- Communicate all concerns to the appropriate School of Education Program Director, keeping them updated and aware of and/or involved with solutions.
- Master’s degree in Education from a regionally accredited institution;
- Must have a minimum of three years teaching experience in an urban or suburban public school setting in relevant certification areas pertaining to Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle (Science, Social Studies, Math, or Language Arts) or High school (Biology, Chemistry, English, Social Science, or Math);
- Experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse learners and in adapting instruction for youth with diverse learning needs;
- Knowledge of the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Teacher Standards;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent critical thinking skills;
- Superior technical capabilities.
Open Until Filled
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
All applicants must submit a list of the School of Education Undergraduate courses you are qualified to teach. Please refer to the Maryville University course catalog located on the Maryville website https://catalog.maryville.edu/index.php?catoid=18.
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.