Lecturer or Teaching Assistant Professor - History
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190431EPInternal Recruitment NoWorking TitleLecturer or Teaching Assistant Professor - HistoryAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with experience and credentials.Work ScheduleVaries Based on Teaching ScheduleJob LocationRaleigh, NCDepartment HistoryAbout the Department
The History Department is a diverse group of scholars covering many areas of specialization. We pride ourselves on outstanding teaching. We offer small classes that allow a great deal of individual attention. In addition, our faculty advisers offer close contact and personal attention to each student. The History major is a place to get a “small college” education in a big state university.
The department of thirty professors has about two hundred fifty majors in three undergraduate programs—the Bachelor of Arts, the Bachelor of Arts with a Teacher Education Concentration, and the Bachelor of Sciences. All programs offer a great deal of student choice in courses and electives, allowing the pursuit of either a broad educational experience or a focused study.
Our 80 student graduate program offers two distinct degrees: the M.A. in History and the M.A. in Public History. However, both degree programs require a strong foundation in traditional history.Essential Job Duties
Candidates will be hired as a non-tenure track Lecturer or Teaching Assistant Professor based on credentials/qualifications.
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for the coordination, planning, preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction and related activities. Each NTT Faculty will prepare his/her own syllabi for the class(es) he/she teaches.
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for performing duties during the day, evening, or weekend as assigned.
The appointment may be available on a per course basis, short-term & part time for the 2020-2021 academic year, all with the possibility of renewal.Other Responsibilities
NTT Faculty perform all other duties as directed by the Department Head.Minimum Experience and Education
Requires master’s degree, an equivalent degree, or equivalent professional experience.Other Required Qualifications
Strong commitment to excellence in teaching is expected.Preferred Qualifications
PhD or ABD in History or related field.Required License(s) or Certification(s)
n/aValid NC Driver's License requiredNoCommercial Driver's License requiredNoJob Open Date03/10/2020Anticipated Close DateOpen until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to your application, please submit the following required documents:
- Curriculum vita/resume
- Cover letter
- Contact information for references
- Sample syllabus (Other Doc 1)
- Assignments (Other Doc 2 and Other Doc 3 if needed)
This is a pooled position contingent on future need. Appointments are temporary, part-time, and may be available for the 2020/2021 academic year.Position Number00104634Position TypeNon-Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)0.225 - 0.75Appointment< 9 Months RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment ID160301 - HistoryAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- Job Alert (automated email from our system)
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Radio / Television Advertisement
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will have by anticipated start date) a master's degree (or higher) in History?
- * Please select the statement that matches your education and experience for this position.
- I possess a Master's or Doctorate degree
- I possess a degree equivalent to a Master's or Doctorate
- I possess a Bachelor's degree and have completed at least 18 graduate credit hours
- I possess a Bachelor's degree and at least two years of directly related experience
- I do not possess a Bachelor's degree but I possess at least six years of directly related experience
- I do not possess any of the education/experience listed above
- Cover Letter
- Other Document (1)
- Other Document (2)
- Contact Information for References
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document (3)