Physical Education Adjunct Faculty
*Adjunct faculty salary for the 2019-2020 fiscal year is $885.00 per credit hour. *
SPSCC accepts applications for adjunct faculty (part-time) positions on an ongoing basis to establish a qualified pool of applicants. The applicant pool is created for future, part-time professor appointments for the individual program or course indicated. This announcement will serve as an open and continuous applicant pool. Appointment availability varies from quarter to quarter.
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) seeks highly motivated and qualified candidates for the position of adjunct or part-time faculty members in Physical Education who will:
• Place student success at the center of all decision-making,• Engage with students, faculty, staff and administrators to create a community of learners,• Seek opportunities for teaching and learning excellence,• Embrace change, risk-taking and innovation,• Respect the richness of diverse cultural values, beliefs and practices of others, and• Contribute to the technical and general education of students who will apply learning to the world of work and transfer their education to a university.
South Puget Sound Community College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its professional staff. The students that we serve come from a variety of backgrounds. We strongly encourage members of the underrepresented groups, veterans, and bi- or multi-lingual individuals to apply for this position to help meet the needs of our diverse students and service district.
We also offer: • Free Bus service every 15 minutes to downtown Olympia and beyond• Gym and recreation facilities• FREE parking on our campuses – permits are not required• On-campus child care• Lots of activities with our Artist & Lecture series, which are FREE for staff and faculty• Many community events in the Kenneth J. Minnaert Center for the Arts• The Clipper Café specializing in seasonal comfort foods• The Bake Shop offering daily baked goods made by our students• Fine dining in the Percival Room, offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices as part of our Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts programs• Campus bookstore offering snacks, apparel, and specialty supplies• Starbucks coffee shop• Percival Creek running beneath our campus footbridge, providing year-round beauty and views of Chinook, Coho, and chum salmon runs• Marked walking paths on nicely paved sidewalks• A variety of wellness workshops and events
What You'll Do
This position is responsible for the preparation and instruction of courses within the physical education department at South Puget Sound Community College. This position reports directly to the Dean for Natural and Applied Sciences.
Faculty members will work with other faculty, staff, and administrators to:
- Create and facilitate contextualized and integrated learning experiences in Physical Education in relation to identified college pathways that are linked to career goals
- Create authentic assessments of students' knowledge, skills, and abilities in Physical Education that measure course, program, and college wide outcomes
- Apply multiple teaching and learning strategies that promote the affective, cognitive and kinesthetic domains of learning
- Support students in and out of the classroom, which includes directing them to campus services and resources
- Be available to teach classes on a variety of days and times
- Prepare and teach courses in the field of Physical Education that may include: Weight Training, Yoga, Sports Psychology and Wellness courses.
Qualifications You Possess
- Bachelor's degree in Physical Education or related field, from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of related work experience and/or related current teaching experience in Physical Education.
- Demonstrated experience or participation with persons from diverse backgrounds such as sexual orientation, racial, ethnic, religious, linguistic, gender, age, socio-economic, physical and learning abilities, and a commitment to an inclusive and equitable working/learning environment.
- Master's degree in Physical Education or relevant field.
- Experience teaching at a community college.
- Experience in using online learning managements systems (Angel, Canvas, etc.) as a classroom support and learning tool.
Applications must be completed online and include the following attachments:
- Cover letter addressed to the Screening Committee highlighting your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in the job posting.
- Current resume/CV showing all educational and professional experience which demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
- Copies of unofficial transcripts from institutions of higher education.
Candidates selected from the pool will be contacted by the division should a vacancy arise.
Top candidates will be notified directly to interview for this position. Selection will be based on the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties listed in this job posting as identified in the materials requested above. Applications with comments directing the reader to see attachments will be considered incomplete.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wishing to claim Veterans Preference should redact their personally identifiable information from a copy of their United States Department of Veterans Affairs honorable discharge documentation and email to [email protected] with the job number for which they are applying in the subject line.
Background Check Condition of Employment
Employment with the college is contingent upon the successful completion of a comprehensive background check. Any adverse information will be considered on a case-by-case basis and does not automatically preclude a candidate from employment.
This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by the South Puget Sound Federation of Teachers, AFT/AFL-CIO, Local 4603.
Conditions of Part-Time Employment
Non-permanent employees under the provisions of WAC 357-19-435 are only authorized to work up to a maximum of 1,050 hours in any twelve (12) consecutive- month period from the original date of hire. Employment with the college could end any time.
South Puget Sound Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator
South Puget Sound Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). SPSCC provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, Title II and Title IX, Samantha Dotson, Executive Human Resource Officer /Title IX Coordinator, 360-596-5361, [email protected], Building 25, Room 220, 2011 Mottman Rd SW, Olympia, WA 98512; South Puget Sound Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment.Applicants needing accommodation in the application process in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources office at (360) 596-5500.