Assistant Professor of Biology
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Biology
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 218484
Job Summary The Department of Biology in the College of Arts and Sciences at Clayton State University is seeking applicants for an Assistant Professor of Biology position. The position is an academic year, tenure-track appointment that reports to the Chair of the Department of Biology. The successful candidate will be expected to begin on August 1, 2020. Salary will be commensurate with experience and competitive with comparable programs. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at the time of hire.
- Teach the introductory biology sequences (biology majors and non-majors), and upper-level biology courses and allied health courses in area of expertise.
- Engage in scholarly activity leading to presentation and publication.
- Develop proposals to support projects in undergraduate research and/or science education or have the ability to perform collaborative research at other institutions.
- Develop courses in your area of expertise.
- Participate in service to Department, School, University and community.
- Serve as a career mentor for biology students.
- A doctoral degree in Biology (ABD candidates will be considered) or other related discipline.
- Ability to teach a wide range of organismal biology courses and labs
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Successful college teaching experience
- Ability and desire to teach a variety of courses and/or labs in the field of Organismal Biology (Invertebrate Biology, Physiology, or other courses in area of expertise), Anatomy and Physiology for health sciences, Principles of Biology sequence for science majors, and non-science major courses and labs.
- A research background that complements the existing diversity of expertise of the faculty of the Department of Biology
- Experience with innovative, evidence-based teaching practices that support the recommendations of Vision & Change in Undergraduate Biology Education, including but not limited to community engagement, course embedded research, metacognitive approaches, and/or strategies to engage higher order cognitive thinking.
- Experience with diverse student populations and a commitment to diversity
- A commitment to working in a department that prioritizes collaboration
- Experience and/or enthusiasm for mentoring undergraduate students in research projects
- Experience in and ability to utilize course management systems in teaching and/or implementing online courses
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Recourses at (678) 466-4230, or by email at [email protected].
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected].Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.