Residence Life Coordinator
Residence Life CoordinatorThe University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Residence Life Coordinator.
Position Details LocationHattiesburg
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
United States DivisionResidence Life Position TypeStaff Employment StatusFull Time Grant FundedNo Salary Range30,000.00 - 33,000.00 Posting Close DateOpen Until Filled
Provides leadership and overall management for the assigned residence halls housing between 240-500 residential students. The Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) is a live-in professional responsible for various duties within the assigned residence halls to include responsibilities related to administration, operation, staff supervision, residential education, crisis management, student conduct, summer operations, and other departmental/university duties as assigned.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Handles day-to-day operations of assigned residence halls. Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates Senior Resident Assistants, Resident Assistants, and indirectly supervises Desk Assistant staff.
2. Manages hall programming efforts to offer students a diverse range of topics, both social and educational, at dates and times that will foster student participation. Manages a programming budget to include serving as a purchasing card (p-card) holder and making programming and other approved departmental purchases using the University p-card within the stated guidelines of the p-card program. Assures compliance and adherence to University p-card policies and procedures related to expenditure of University funds and reconciliation of p-card purchases.
3. Processes all assigned conduct cases, implements conduct proceedings and sanctions when appropriate, and communicates disciplinary issues of residents to the Assistant Director. Occasionally, required to submit incident reports.
4. Maintains open lines of communication with the Assistant Director by advising Assistant Director of needed areas of training, corrective actions, behavior issues for Senior Resident Assistants and Resident Assistant as they arise.
5. Manages operational functions for residence halls, such as building walk-throughs, damage assessments, reporting and billing, maintenance requests, hall openings and closings, and other related tasks.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- This position is deemed essential emergency staff and is required to report for storm duty as well as respond to any other emergencies.
- Participates in year-round duty rotation including nights, weekends, and holidays to provide support to the residential population working closely with the Counseling Center, UPD and other campus resources.
- Utilizes a personal computer and computer software to include RMS Mercury and MS Office products.
- Uses a mouse to make selections on a menu or screen.
- Utilizes a video projector, photocopy machine, and telephone. Uses standard office equipment such as a stapler, staple remover, and scissors.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge and skill of maneuvering within a Microsoft Windows environment including Windows-based software applications such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access for creating reports and documents.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge and skill of using various Internet browsers to access web sites and using email to send and receive correspondence.
- Demonstrates proficiency in using search engines and web-based applications for research.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge and skill in incorporating software tools and equipment into office procedures.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Demonstrates interpersonal skills including social perceptiveness, service orientation, negotiation, instruction and coordination. Is able to promote an inclusive environment.
- Demonstrates personnel management skills including motivating, developing and directing people.
- Proficient at both oral and written communication.
- Proficient at complex problem solving, inductive and deductive reasoning, and problem sensitivity.
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.