Research Adjunct Faculty - Estuarine Modeler
Present Position Number:
PT Instruct/ProfessorPosition Title:
Research Adjunct Faculty - Estuarine ModelerPosition Summary:
The department of Physical Sciences is recruiting a pool of applicants to assist with estuarine and coastal modeling studies dictated by various grants and contracts. Projects may include evaluation of the discharge of sewage treatment plant effluent in an urban estuary, modeling the storm tide, wind wave, inundation in the coastal ocean, and assessing the effects of sea level rise in multiple watersheds.
The scope of work may involve:
1. Management of 3D hydrodynamic and water quality ecosystem models with core tasks consisting of model submission, operations, calibration and verification using W&M High performance computing facility.
2. Continued development and upgrade of VIMS’ SCHISM (Semi-implicit, Cross-scale, Hydroscience, Integrated System Model) and ICM (Integrated Compartment Model) models.
3. Application of above models as analytic tools for inter-disciplinary research and advisory services.
This pool will be utilized on an as-needed basis and will be assigned for one- to twelve-month increments, depending on funding availability.Required Qualifications:
- PhD in Marine Sciences, Oceanography, Geology and/or Geoscience or related field
- Significant working knowledge in the areas of estuarine dynamics, hydrodynamic and water quality modeling.
- Proficiency with programming skills (e.g., Fortran, Matlab, and Excel).
- Demonstrated ability to retrieve estuarine watershed models and associated data to explain complex processes relating to ecosystem processes
- Strong record of scientific research, including publications in the areas of estuarine dynamics, hydrodynamic and water quality modeling.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS and extensive mapping skills.
- Working in US higher education, industry and/or government
191100 Physical SciencesLocation:
VIMS - GloucesterJob Open Date:
03/16/2020Review Begin Date:
03/16/2020Open Until Filled:
AdjunctSpecial Application Instructions:
Application materials for the position should include:
1) A cover letter describing professional education, experience, and suitability for the position.
2) A full curriculum vitae.
3) The names, addresses (including titles and institutions), email addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.