Accounts Receivable Specialist
Accounts Receivable SpecialistThe University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Accounts Receivable Specialist.
Position Details LocationHattiesburg
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
United States DivisionBusiness Services Position TypeStaff Employment StatusFull Time Grant FundedNo Posting Close DateOpen until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Resume must be included with application.
Performs a variety of clerical duties which involves student accounts, fee payments, processing charges, collections and scholarships.Answers student questions by phone and in person related to student accounts, 1098T’s and other students issues.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Answers student questions by telephone and in person related to student accounts.Prints and mails statement of accounts, 1098T’s and other related information as requested by students, faculty and staff.
- Prepares student accounts for collection with an outside collection agency. Also, makes collection calls on accounts under $100.00 that are due to be turned over to outside collection agency.Process and verify collections payment activity report and updates student accounts in collections by maintaining collections checklists in Peoplesoft.
- Updates write-off student accounts as payments are received. Runs reports in Cashnet to find payments made through Business Services storefront for write-off accounts. Maintains student write-off spreadsheet as students are added and as payments are received.
- Responsible for posting credits, billing and collection for specific third party and/or prepaid tuition plans (MPACT etc.).This includes verifying eligibility, completing paperwork and communication with students and agency personnel. Receives scholarship authorizations and enters in Financial Aid (restricted aid) in Peoplesoft.
- Runs student, parent PLUS loan and credit card refund processes weekly.Provides backup for other positions in the Accounts Receivable area as needed.
- Works with Assistant Director to record VA Chapter 33 payments received through ACH from Hancock Bank.Create spreadsheets for Financial Aid and Controllers office after deposit is recorded for VA33 ACH payment.Work with Assistant Director and Accountant as needed for Item Type maintenance and performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesAbility to effectively communicate information and respondto questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the generalpublic. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, late fees,commissions, percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra,payment calculation, and collection agency commission calculation. Ability tosolve practical problems. Ability to interpret instructions furnished inwritten, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Preferred Qualifications Bachelor's degree in Accounting or business related field. About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.