Overview and Responsibilities
Student Central's Student Outreach Assistants are responsible for fellow student outreach to help improve CVTC student success and retention. Student Outreach Assistants will be trained to make phone calls to targeted student populations and answer questions for new and current students. They will also assist staff in Central Station, Student Central’s enrollment lab, by helping students with tasks such as applying for parking permits, printing class schedules, etc.
A Student Central Student Outreach Assistant position is a great on-campus employment opportunity for those who would like to develop leadership and communication skills and build a resume.
- Make outreach phone calls to students to act as a resource and answer questions related to attending college at CVTC.
- Act as triage for Student Central; direct students to appropriate area (i.e., front desk, Central Station, general advising, etc.).
- Assist in the Enrollment Lab at peak times.
- Staff CVTC chat program during peak times.
- Act as a New Student Orientation (NSO) Student Leader.
- Assist with Student Central events.
- Go to campus events and blog about experience.
- Assist students through the admission, registration, and financial aid process.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Participate in ongoing training offered throughout the semester.
- Regularly check staff email account.
- Communicate regularly with Director of Student Central and Student Central staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic CVTC enrollment processes and procedures, including admissions, registration, financial aid, and technology (training provided).
- Ability to be patient, friendly, and supportive when working with students.
- Ability to be proactive, dependable and flexible.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to use judgment, discretion, and decision making skills in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ability to model integrity through self-awareness, personal accountability, ethical behavior, quality standards, and sustainable practices.
- Ability to think critically by applying problem solving practices, acquiring relevant information, using technology and other resources appropriately, and evaluating alternatives.
- Ability to communicate effectively by speaking and writing clearly, concisely, and professionally; practicing active listening; reading critically and adapting communication for audience.
- Ability to value diversity by recognizing personal biases, adapting to culturally diverse situations, and demonstrating a commitment to equity, inclusion, and respectful interactions with persons of diverse ethnic, cultural, social-economic, or educational backgrounds.
- Intermediate knowledge of and skills with technology including software programs for communication, data collection, and decision making including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- High school diploma required.
- Customer service and phone experience is preferred.
- Current CVTC student preferred.
In evaluating candidates for this position, the College may consider a combination of education, training, and experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform duties of position.As an equal opportunity/access employer and educator, CVTC is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
CVTC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the college's non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 620 W. Clairemont Avenue, Eau Claire, WI 54701, 715-833-6334, WI Relay: 711