System Administrator Senior, Linux
Job Title: System Administrator Senior, Linux
Location: LSC-System Office UP
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 33042
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office, University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Under general direction, the Linux Senior System Administrator is responsible for activities related to system administration, which may include multiple LAN/WAN operations, servers and sites. Responsible for capacity planning and vendor evaluations. This position is a member of a 24/7/365 global department with travel within the LSC service area and the availability of on-call scheduling.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and support state-of-the-art large, highly available Enterprise Linux/ERP infrastructure, along with a team of system, server, and network professionals delivering outstanding customer serviceResponsible for strategic and operational design/implementation/administration of ERP systems on various operating systems supporting Oracle PeopleSoft environmentThis position is concerned with the design, installation, configuration, administration, and system security of enterprise wide systems in a multi-platform environmentGenerates reports and analysis on resource usageMaintains configurations to provide capacity planning and performance monitoring/tuning of systemsBenchmarks, evaluates and makes recommendations for the selection of storage management software and hardware products, possesses advanced knowledge of converged infrastructure technologiesIn addition to daily administration, focuses on improving performance of network. Recommends and implements strategies to improve systems reliability and performanceAssigns staff to various projects, provides technical leadership, guides their activities, and evaluates their workEnsures long-term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organizationMaintains tasks, projects and activities in the IT system of Record (S-NOW)Understands and follows LSCS standard operating proceduresResponsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Requires thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of own professional discipline, requires in-depth understanding of the purpose and operations outside own area, understands internal/external clients; may require awareness of external trends and best practices
- Recognizes problems or situations that are new or without clear precedent, finds solutions using a systematic, multi-step approach, primarily responsible for developing improvements and innovations to enhance performance
- Actively seeks help in gathering resources, solicits input, and uses a variety of techniques to reach a solution, leads groups in setting goals and monitors progress. Identifies need for outside support
- Ability to work to identify and solve issues in the group
- Ability to motivate others to action or addresses delicate situations, requiring tact and diplomacy using written and verbal skills, identifies common themes, makes inferences and draws conclusions, promotes knowledge of own area to gain support for on-going and future initiatives
- Ability to document enterprise systems and procedures
- Ability to make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity
- Ability to serve as a mentor/developmental advisor and/or training resource to less experienced staff
- Ability to seek opportunities and set some goals for own development
- Knowledge that work significantly affects a department or large functional area within a campus or Central Administrative area, prioritizes projects
- Ability to follow IT procedures to complete work, but may recommend changes to department processes
- Ability to act decisively in critical situations or to circumvent a potential problem
- Knows and follows standard operating procedures
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Red Hat - Oracle Linux experience
- Advanced certifications in area of expertise
- Configuration Management software, Puppet, Nagios
- Log Aggregation - Splunk
Hiring salary range is $91,954 - $105,747
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.Special Instructions
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.