Extra Help - CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGS - CUSTODIAL/MAINTENANCE
Extra Help - CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGS - CUSTODIAL/MAINTENANCEFTE:
Human Resource ServicesEmployment Type:
Employees at this level perform custodial work required in the routine cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting,
and upkeep of all designated interior and exterior building or spaces according to set standards and
procedures. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor.Keeps floors free of dirt and debris by regularly scheduled mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, and
scrubbing of floors and other surfaces;
2. cleans, buffs, waxes, renovates, and renews floor surface finishes using appropriate tools and
3. cleans and dusts furniture, tables, exhibit cases, fixtures, windows, doors, trim, and related
furnishings; cleans and waxes furniture as necessary;
4. washes and/or cleans windows, walls, and door glass; washes interior glass, including partitions,
framed pictures, signage, and doors;
5. moves furniture, supplies, miscellaneous equipment, and sets up meeting space as directed;
sweeps or shovels snow from steps and walks at building entrances and connecting walks;
spreads ice melts as needed;
6. locks and unlocks doors to buildings, classrooms, lecture rooms, or offices;
7. cleans, disinfects, sanitizes and services restrooms facilities and fixtures and replenishes supplies;
cleans chalkboards and/or whiteboards including trays;
9. collects and places debris and recyclable material removed from buildings in containers for
removal; empties authorized waste containers and checks and/or replaces liners;
10. reports items that need repair; monitors and/or notifies of diminishing supplies;
11. performs overhead tasks (e.g., changes light bulbs and cleans light fixtures, as required);
12. provides cleaning services for carpet maintenance; (i.e., bonnet buffing, extraction, spotting, and
13. operates variety of maintenance and cleaning equipment which includes: rotators, extractors, and
14. performs other related duties as assigned.
High School graduation or equivalentPreferred Qualification:
Knowledge of cleaning solutions and custodial methods.
2. Ability to comprehend and follow oral instructions.
3. Ability to read and follow written instructions, directions, labeling and measurements.
4. Ability to tolerate exposure to temperature extremes.
5. Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
6. Ability to use computers; basic computer skills.
05/10/2019Special Instructions to Applicants:
Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including the employment dates and duties for all positions held.
Current NIU students carrying six or more hours are not eligible for extra help employment.
Employment is contingent upon your passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources. Pre-employment medical exam (as necessary, depending on the Physical Demands listed in the position) must also be cleared by Human Resources.EEO Statement:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Acting Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Altgeld Hall 238
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661-4544
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. This form can be obtained by contacting the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ADEI) at 815-753-8399.Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: