Student Assistant - Research Lab - Morehouse School Medicine
Position Title:Student Assistant - Research Lab - Morehouse School Medicine Job Category:Student Department:School of Science and Technology SEED - 6010661 Division:Academic Affairs Required Documents:Cover Letter, Resume, Student Detailed Class Schedule Position Statement:Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is one of 28 institutions within the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Serving nearly 13,000 students, GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 920,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology. Description:
The student assistant will be housed in the school of Science and Technology and will work with faculty members and undergraduate students in a research laboratory at the Morehouse School Medicine (MSM). Students will be compensated for 30 hours of training. Accepted GGC SST majors will engage in research projects in the Summer of 2020 with faculty members at MSM. Student researchers will also attend mentoring sessions and complete professional development modules under the guidance of MSM graduate students and faculty member
- Assist researchers with laboratory work, including but not limited to; setting up chemical syntheses, troubleshooting experimental set-ups, acquiring scientific data, analyzing samples with analytical instrumentation, analyzing data, and preparing research manuscripts, posters, and other professional presentations
- Perform general lab support in research laboratories, including but not limited to laboratory set-up, ordering supplies, and routine clean-up or other duties as assigned
- Present at the summer research conference(s) at MSM
- Attend, at minimum, one external research conference to present the finding of the research project at MSM
- Student must be enrolled with a minimum of 6 credit hours at Georgia Gwinnett College in good academic standing (GPA > 2.5) and maintain good academic standing during employment.
- Student must be a SST major at GGC.
- Student must be familiar with lab safety protocols.
- Student must demonstrate accuracy and attention to details.
- Student must be willing to learn new skills to accomplish tasks.
- Student must be able to work as a member of a team.
- Student must have reliable transportation to Morehouse School of Medicine.
- Junior or Senior level Biology or Chemistry Majors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to be highly organized, attentive to details, time management, and possess multi-tasking skills
Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the College unless an applicant is selected for an interview. Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States and proof of eligibility will be contemporaneously required upon acceptance of an employment offer. Any resulting employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation and credit check if applicable to the position, as determined by Georgia Gwinnett College in its sole discretion. Georgia Gwinnett College, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or religion. Georgia is an open records state.
Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Applicant must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.Position Status:Part-Time FLSA:Non-exempt