Administrative Assistant II (Alumni Events)
Administrative Assistant II (Alumni Events)Department: College Advancement Date: 02/17/2020 POSITION VACANCY
Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America’s most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby’s rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College’s deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Alumni Events)
Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Staff Appointment
Propelled by visionary leadership, a compelling array of initiatives, and record fundraising in fiscal year 2017, Colby launched the largest fundraising campaign ever at a liberal arts college—$750 million—in October 2017. With the success of the Dare Northward campaign, the College will be known for a distinctive set of multidisciplinary academic offerings; an even more cohesive and accessible institutional culture for students from all backgrounds; the foremost art and athletic facilities in the educational sector; a welcoming, thriving, and dynamic surrounding community; increased global connections and resulting perspectives; the richest set of universal student experiences to enhance the Colby academic program; and the capacity to support the postgraduate success of every one of their students.
The administrative assistant II provides administrative and clerical support to the Office of Alumni Experience and Networks including alumni events. The administrative assistant II will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be comfortable working in an evolving, high pace environment while handling a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. Candidates must like working around people, enjoy events, and have a strong customer service orientation to their work. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide efficient office management and clerical support while maintaining the confidentiality of all records and information
- Answer phone calls and emails from alumni on a daily basis in a timely and professional manner
- Provide event support including creating lists, producing name tags, welcoming guests, and updating event registration data
- Work with event manager to provide necessary lists for registration and staff pre-event briefing
- Assist with day-of-event set-up as needed
- Schedule department meetings, prepare agendas and supporting documents, schedule conference rooms, and ensure technology set up as needed
- Operate all office equipment, including personal computer and printer, photocopier, telephone, and fax
- Serve as a resource for team members to support their data management needs and interaction with the Raiser’s Edge database; assist with data management including data entry, queries, requests, and resolving issues
- Provide support for video call-in meetings; work with remote staff to ensure their ability to participate in all meetings and learning opportunities within the division via video call-in software
- Proofread and format correspondence generated by the team in accordance with Colby standards
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- High school diploma or equivalent required; professional coursework or post-secondary education are a plus
- Three or more years of previous administrative experience
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills with a high level of motivation and initiative
- Must possess exemplary interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with staff and management throughout the College and with external constituents
- Attention to detail and accuracy are critical
- Ability to handle confidential information tactfully
- Talent to manage multiple projects and priorities while working within deadlines to achieve ambitious goals
- Highly developed computer skills including extensive experience using Microsoft Office Suite; Google Docs; email, web, and database applications, as well as an interest in and ability to learn new computer programs with ease and in a self-guided manner; experience with a customer relationship management (CRM) system is a plus
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex fast moving environment and to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
- Commitment to the core values of liberal arts education
- Must be a motivated problem solver; able to work independently
This position is one of two administrative assistants who work as a team to support alumni and donor events and will have direct contact with division staff. The position will also interact with other departments, faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents, and visitors.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General open office and campus environment. Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Occasional lifting is required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Administrative Assistant II (Alumni Events) - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
If you experience difficulty uploading your documents, you may submit any .doc or .pdf materials to [email protected] Please do not submit duplicate materials.To apply electronically send to [email protected]. If you choose to apply electronically you do not need to send duplicate copies by U.S. Mail. If your electronic materials are unreadable we will notify you promptly. A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual's qualifications to contribute to Colby's educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or military or veteran’s status. Colby is an equal opportunity employer and operates in accordance with federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination. Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution’s education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby’s Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
For more information about the College, please visit our web site: www.colby.edu.