Assistant/Associate/Full Professor Tenure System
Assistant/Associate/Full Professor Tenure SystemJob no: 635522
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Engineering
Department: Computational Math Sci And Engr Egr 40000839
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Tenure System Faculty, Engineers/Architects
Assistant/Associate/Full Professor Tenure SystemPosition Summary
The Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering (CMSE), in partnership with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Michigan State University (MSU) invites applications for a tenure-system faculty position in the broad area of Quantum Algorithms with an anticipated start date of 16 August 2020. This position will be a joint appointment between CMSE and ECE and is targeted at the assistant professor level, although exceptional candidates of all ranks will be considered.
The candidate will be expected to establish a sustainable research program, make significant scholarly contributions to their discipline, be an effective teacher and mentor of both undergraduate and graduate students, engage in institutional and professional service, and support MSU’s diverse student population.
The Departments are seeking a candidate working in the area of theoretical/computational quantum computing, quantum information science, or a related field with an emphasis on quantum algorithms and a broad perspective on quantum computing. MSU is committed to expanding into the area of Quantum Information Science, and this position is the first in a planned series of new hires in the area of Quantum Computing.
Michigan State University has established the Department of Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering in recognition that computational and data science is a fundamental area of research in the 21st century. The department seeks to create an interdisciplinary environment that fosters a new breed of researchers who will address emergent problems in science and engineering. The candidate’s primary appointment will be in the Department of CMSE with a minority appointment in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
MSU enjoys a park-like campus with outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is adjacent to the city of East Lansing and the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 470,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. MSU is proactive in exploring opportunities for employment for dual-career partners, both inside and outside the University. Information about MSU's dual-career support can be found at http://miwin.msu.edu/. Information about WorkLife at MSU can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu.
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The university actively encourages applications or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities.Required Degree
Doctorate -theoretical physics, engineering, chemisMinimum Requirements
Candidates must hold a PhD in, or related to, theoretical physics, engineering, chemistry, computer science, or pure or applied mathematics at the time of appointment.Required Application Materials
Interested individuals must be submitted through http://careers.msu.edu, posting #635522. Review of applications will begin on 9 March 2020 and continue until the position is filled. To ensure a holistic assessment of candidates, we request that applications include the following:
- A 1-page cover letter that frames the application in the context of this ad and MSU’s Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- A CV, which may include a list of publications, accepted proposals for funding/resources, contributed and invited talks, teaching and mentoring roles, leadership positions, contributions to the academic community, and efforts in public outreach.
- A 2- to 4-page statement highlighting past research successes and future research interests and plans for developing a sustainable research group. This statement should also specify which lead-author publication the applicant would most like the search committee to read and describe any collaborative research efforts.
- A 1- to 2-page teaching statement describing the applicant’s educational priorities and plans to address them.
- A 1-page community statement describing how the applicant has contributed to the broader community at previous institutions, and their interests and plans for enriching the MSU community.
- Contact information for three people to provide reference letters on request. While reference letters will not be solicited for the initial evaluation of candidates, applicants should ensure that letters will be submitted promptly upon request.
Nominations or questions are welcome by contacting the search committee chair, Professor Edward Brown, through email at [email protected]. Applicants are encouraged to peruse the MSU CMSE and ECE websites.Special Instructions
Review of applications will begin on 9 March 2020 and continue until the position is filled.Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Feb 18, 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Feb 18, 2022 Eastern Standard Time