Co-Editor-in-Chief, Boston University Center for Antiracist Research
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Boston University Center for Antiracist ResearchTracking Code2378 Job Description
The mission of the Boston University (BU) Center for Antiracist Research is to convene varied researchers and practitioners to figure out novel and practical ways to understand, explain, and solve seemingly intractable problems of racial inequity and injustice. We foster exhaustive racial research, research-based policy innovation, data-driven educational and advocacy campaigns, and narrative-change initiatives. We are working toward building an antiracist society that ensures equity and justice for all.
The BU Center for Antiracist Research seeks a visionary editorial leader who will work with us to build an antiracist and just future as a founding co-editor-in-chief for The Emancipator, a new multimedia platform that will amplify critical voices, ideas, data, and debates on race and racial justice. With a dedicated interdisciplinary team of talented journalists and academics, The Emancipator, produced in partnership with The Boston Globe opinion team, will help build understanding toward the antiracist society of tomorrow.
The successful candidate will help set editorial strategy and will oversee pieces about racial research that are published in The Emancipator. The role will require someone who is adept at working with scholars to translate research and data findings into compelling, accessible prose, has a talent for inspiring and supervising editorial teams working on tight deadlines, has demonstrated varied capabilities including management and budgets. Whether bringing The Emancipator to market in public appearances or building collaborative partnerships to enhance the reach and impact of the editorial content, the role will be an integral part of The Center’s mission of helping to solve the problems of racial inequity and injustice.
The co-EIC will share equal responsibility and authority for The Emancipator along with the Globe co-EIC. The co-EIC will:
- Be responsible for high-level strategic planning and co-editorial oversight for The Emancipator, such as development of content strategy and longer-term projects
- Oversee all research-focused content, especially in supporting scholars to translate their work into accessible prose
- Co-supervise the work of the editorial team, to ensure the quality and sufficient quantity of editorial outputs on daily deadlines
- Develop story ideas, make assignments, edit articles, and manage editorial engagement (such as on social media)
- Cultivate freelance writers and expert authors
- Co-ensure that The Emancipator is managed to budget, manage and negotiate contracts, and support fundraising efforts as needed
- Represent The Emancipator and the BU Center for Antiracist Research in external engagement activities, such as speeches, panel discussions, and media appearances
- Participate, coordinate, or oversee any other relevant BU partnership activities as needed, particularly with the BU College of Communication
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required and 10-15+ years of relevant experience. Must be able to demonstrate strong past experience in editorial management and leadership; the ability to respond to shifting audience needs; and an ability to work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Experience in translating research findings into accessible, lively prose is an asset.
This position is eligible for Boston University's generous benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, tuition remission, paid time off, and so much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular