Part Time Faculty Interest Pool - English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)Requisition IDreq101Academic DepartmentEnglish for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)Campus Cascade, Rock Creek, Southeast, and Sylvania CampusesPosition SummaryPortland Community College is accepting applications to be considered for Part-Time Faculty assignments the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program.
The Department will review applications in this pool as the need arises for new part-time faculty in this area. This is NOT an announcement of a specific open position, but a Part-time Faculty Interest Pool, from which the department will identify applicants based on course assignment needs during the Academic Year. Your application may be considered for substitute assignments as well as full term class assignments.
Learn more about our program here https://www.pcc.edu/esol/
Please also review the PCC Course Catalog
for this subject area. As part of this application, you will be asked to list the current PCC courses which you would be able to teach. If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play at PCC, please complete your application today to be considered.
Candidate ProfileInstructor Qualifications
- Master’s degree in TESOL from an accredited institution,
- Master’s degree in related field (such as foreign language, linguistics, speech, anthropology, English, adult education, intercultural communication, international studies or other fields upon SAC approval)
- Proficiency in a foreign language and a TESOL certificate or substantial (40 quarter hours or 30 semester hours) coursework at the 400 level or higher in TESOL methodology from an accredited institution. TESOL certificate or course work must include the study of linguistics, language acquisition theory, and language teaching methodology. (K-12 ELL endorsement is not an appropriate equivalent to or substitute for a TESOL certificate)
- Master’s degree in a related field (such as foreign language, linguistics, speech, anthropology, English, adult education, intercultural communication, international studies or other fields upon SAC approval)
- Proficiency in a foreign language and five years experience in an adult ESL classroom teaching a variety of skills and levels (pre-literate to college) to students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and educational backgrounds.
- At least two years of experience teaching a college-level English curriculum to speakers of other languages.
Note Regarding Academic Credentials:
- Official transcripts are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of offer date for degrees required in the stated Instructor Qualifications.
- Instructors shall have earned required academic credentials at a regionally accredited US institution or a foreign institution having the equivalent of regional accreditation. Instructors with credentials from other countries will have their transcripts evaluated by agencies that have good standing with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services to establish fulfillment of this standard. (for more information see http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html)
- For more information on PCC's General Instructor Qualifications Policy I301 visit:
These positions are included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Faculty Federation Employees.
See the PCC Instructor Qualifications webpage
for more information.Part-Time Faculty Compensation
2019/2020 Hourly Rates:
Lecture $61.15/hourLab $45.25/hourLecture/Lab $49.23/hour
Note: All newly hired Part-time Faculty will start at Step 1View the current PCC Part-time Faculty Pay Schedule
PCC BenefitsPCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs. Benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
Part-time faculty health insurance eligibility is based on workload during the previous academic year. Once eligible, available insurance plans include Health, Dental, and Vision options, as well as Long-term Care.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. Part-time faculty may be eligible for PERS/OPSRP if they meet the requirement of six months of employment and are working 600 hours or more per year. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
- 2 hours sick leave per pay period, up to 32 hours per year; a maximum of 8 hours of accrued sick leave per academic year may be used for personal reasons.
View a complete list of PCC benefits
.Background Check RequiredYesPortland Community College complies with the Oregon Veterans' Preference in Public Employment law which provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. You will be given instructions during the application process to claim Veterans' Preference in the recruitment of this position, and to provide the documents required for verification of eligibility.
Please do not send your documentation to the hiring manager directly.
For verification of eligibility, please submit the following documentation:
Portland Community College is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected class.
- Veterans: DD214
- Disabled Veterans: DD214 and Letter from the Department of VA