Visiting Assistant Professor #443432
Position DetailsPosting NumberClassification TitlePosition TitleVisiting Assistant Professor #443432FTE1.00FLSASalaryCommensurateJob Summary/Basic Function
Faculty Positions in Sustainable & Resilient Infrastructure, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX
Lamar University invites applications for tenure-track or visiting assistant professor position(s) in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) in the Lamar University College of Engineering. We are in search of candidates who are enthusiastic in building a successful academic career while assisting the CEE Department in fulfilling its educational missions and expanding its research programs.
Application Requirements and Job Description:
Candidates must have a doctoral degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering or a closely related engineering discipline. The areas of expertise of the candidate should be in, but not limited to, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, water resources engineering, transportation infrastructure, or sustainable or energy infrastructure. A successful candidate must have a track record in producing research output as demonstrated in refereed publications. A strong commitment to working with diverse constituencies in teaching innovation, interdisciplinary research or outreach is required. An ability to obtain external funding from local/regional/federal grant agencies is essential. Excellent communication skills are critical. Prior professional/industrial experience, registration as a professional engineer (PE), or being on-track to obtain PE licensure is preferred.
About Lamar University:
Lamar University has an enrollment of more than 15,000 students. It is a Carnegie Doctoral Research University. Founded in 1923, the University offers more than 100 programs of study across five colleges. Lamar University plays a key role in driving the economic growth of the Beaumont–Port Arthur metropolitan area in Southeast Texas where major petrochemical industries and ports are located. A strategic plan for the University is available at http://www.lamar.edu/about-lu/strategic-plan.html.
About the CEE Department and the College of Engineering:
The CEE Department offers six degree programs at Lamar University including the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE, ABET accredited), the Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSEV), the Master of Science in Environmental Studies (MSVS), the Master of Engineering (ME), the Master of Engineering Sciences (MES) and the Doctor of Engineering (DE) with civil and environmental engineering focuses. Currently, the CEE Department has about 130 undergraduate and 40 graduate students. The Department is one of the five engineering departments in the College of Engineering. The College has four interdisciplinary research centers that fund research and teaching programs in respective niche areas: the Center for Advances in Water and Air Quality, the Texas Hazardous Waste Research Center, the Texas Air Research Center and the Center for Advances in Port Management. More information is available online at http://engineering.lamar.edu/ and http://engineering.lamar.edu/civil/.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Lamar Expectation of Quality
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.Disclaimer
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change. Lamar University reserves the right to revise, change or eliminate this job description at any time.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to the needs of the university.
This Job Description is not intended to be a contract of employment or a legal document. Employment with Lamar University is at will, and may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this Job Description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Lamar University employees.Essential Functions Open Date02/06/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
How to Apply:
Visit Lamar University Human Resources website at https://jobs.lamar.edu. Application documents, which include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statements of research and teaching, and a list of 3 references, must be uploaded online with the application. Review of applications will begin in February 2020 and will continue until the position(s) is filled. For more information, please contact the chair of civil & environmental engineering, Dr. Liv Haselbach, at [email protected] Lamar University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and employer. This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Do you have a Doctoral degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or a closely related engineering discipline?
- * In what field did you earn your doctorate?
- Educational Leadership
- Educational Administration
- Another Education field
- I do not have a PhD
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of teaching experience do you have? In what field of study? Briefly list.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interest
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3
- Unofficial Transcript 1