Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
Associate Dean for Faculty AffairsPosition Number :
000617Vacancy Open to :
All CandidatesDepartment :
HSH SODM ACADSPT ManagementDepartment Homepage :
www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/dental/Advertising Department :
DENTAL MEDICINE, SCHOOL OFDivision :
Health SciencesClassification Title :
Associate DeanWorking Title :
Associate Dean for Faculty AffairsNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.000Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate With QualificationsPosition Location (City) :
Non-Faculty/SAAOJob Category :
Non-Faculty Senior AdministrativeOrganizational Unit Overview:
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 900 EHRA employees and 1,700 SHRA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues.
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Assistant Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences and Research.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
The Office of Faculty Affairs in the School of Dental Medicine at East Carolina University serves as a resource for faculty – assisting and supporting their career development (including advancement, promotion and/or tenure) along with managing all faculty-related matters. This office interfaces directly with the Department Chairs and Course/Program Directors and collaborates closely with the School’s Offices of Research, Dental Education and Informatics, Extramural Clinical Practices, Clinical Affairs and other units to support all of the School’s programs and initiatives. In addition, it regularly interfaces with other Schools and Colleges of East Carolina University to provide information and services related to faculty affairs.
The Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs (ADFA) provides leadership in faculty development and initiatives that contribute to the strategic priorities of the School and University. This position develops educational initiatives, including courses, programs, workshops, seminars, and one-on-one consultation and scholarship needed to develop faculty as academicians and leaders. The ADFA serves as a resource for the Department Chairs as they guide and mentor their faculty of all academic ranks and tracks.
This position reports directly to the Dean of the SoDM at East Carolina University.
Specific duties include:
• Ensuring that the SoDM’s academic initiatives map to the School’s and the University’s Strategic Plans; collaborating with Department Chairs to optimize the SoDM cadre of faculty’s ability to meet current tactical and future strategic educational needs.
• Supporting/mentoring chairs in their roles as leaders in teaching, research, and service and in evaluating and developing their faculty; overseeing and coordinating the annual faculty evaluation process and collaborating with the Dean in annually evaluating the chairs.
• Assisting faculty and Department Chairs in the compilation of teaching portfolios and Personnel Action Dossiers (PAD) for advancement, promotion and/or tenure decisions, and in implementing targeted and focused development plans to address areas requiring faculty skills renewal.
• Serving as an administrative liaison with the SoDM Personnel Committee to provide administrative support for faculty searches, recruitment, and appointment, and with the SoDM Promotion and Tenure Committees in reviewing candidate PADs, external letters and the Chair’s letter of support.
• Developing appropriate mechanisms for recognizing teaching, research/scholarship and service accomplishments of the faculty and identifying faculty for training and leadership opportunities.
• Developing and coordinating programs to improve skills in educational strategies and leadership for all faculty and professional staff.
• Overseeing faculty orientation and career transition programs for faculty transitioning from the military or private practice.
• Supporting the credentialing and privileging processes.
• Overseeing and developing effective strategies for faculty recruitment and retention.
• Supporting and developing SoDM interdisciplinary and interprofessional collaborations with other Health Sciences Schools, Colleges and programs.
• Implementing effective processes for handling faculty concerns and grievances when unable to be resolved at the level of the module director, course director or department chair.
• Supporting Continuing Education courses and the faculty’s role in providing quality continuing education.
• Representing the School at campus meetings and other local, state and national meetings as appropriate.
• Performing other duties and assuming additional responsibilities as assigned by the Dean.
• Excellent time management, project management, and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently, attend to multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
• Ability to supervise and develop other professional and support staff.
Terminal doctoral degree (DDS/DMD, EdD, PhD or equivalent) with at least 5 years’ full-time experience in health sciences education.
Experience as Department Chair and broad experience and knowledge of health sciences education.
Academic credentials that qualify for the rank of Associate Professor or higher with tenure.
Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
Demonstrated interest in developing faculty as evidenced by mentoring, leadership and professionalism.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams.
Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research design and analysis to support institutional effectiveness and faculty research and scholarship.
Familiarity with CODA accreditation standards and processes.License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
Doctoral DegreePreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :
Dental degree (DMD or DDS) from a CODA-accredited school or college.
Willingness to contribute to the educational and patient care mission of the School of Dental Medicine, including participating in Faculty Practice.
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
Letter of Interest
List of Three References (noting contact information)
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
02/05/2020Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
02/19/2020Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department for Disability Support Services at (252) 737-1016 (Voice/TTY).Eligibility for Employment :
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.