Part Time Biology Lab Technician
Locations:: Roxbury Crossing, MA
Posted:: Oct 17, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community, including peoples of color, recent immigrants and non-traditional populations. The College's mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high-quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL, and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
The Biology Lab Technician will provide laboratory assistance and supports the Science Department. The Lab Technician performs laboratory and administrative work and is responsible for setting up laboratory experiments and related equipment/supplies for science labs; maintains inventory of laboratory equipment, materials and supplies; orders new/replacement materials; maintains/cares for laboratory equipment; assists the safety officer with compliance with state and federal guidelines; ensures the proper labeling and disposal of hazardous and biological laboratory wastes; performs general lab maintenance (i.e. cleanliness) and other pertinent duties as assigned.
Supervision Received: Science Laboratory Manager
Supervision Exercised: Work Study Students.
- Must have a flexible schedule; depending on laboratory schedules, must be available in the mornings, or evenings and Saturday.
- Laboratory responsibilities may include Biology, Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, General Science, Energy, Nutrition, Biotechnology, or Physics classes
- Prepares materials for science laboratory sections as needed; sets up laboratory experiments and related equipment and supplies for these labs (e.g. prepares solutions, reagents, buffers, and microbiology media for nucleic acid and protein manipulations; maintains microorganisms, mammalian and other cell cultures), and performs breakdown and cleanup of laboratory sections.
- Must be able to operate biotechnology and science laboratory equipment.
- Consults with faculty regarding laboratory scheduling, supplies to be ordered, laboratory protocols and prep sheets.
- Maintains inventory of laboratory equipment, supplies and chemicals to ensure availability of adequate supplies, live materials, and other supplies to perform laboratory activities.
- Sets up new laboratory equipment, computer and audio/visual equipment and ensures it is functional. Receives training on new procedures and equipment as needed.
- Initiates orders for new/replacement materials; receives and processes ordered material; ensures proper documentation of orders; picks up lab supplies at local suppliers and transports items to lab as needed.
- Maintains professional knowledge in applicable areas and certifications.
- Conducts informal training of laboratory staff and faculty on new equipment. .
- Assists with in-house and vendor servicing of lab equipment annually. Notifies proper personnel of needed repairs; and follows through ensuring completion of required repairs/maintenance.
- Ensures proper care, organization and maintenance of laboratory equipment and of live materials; cleans/prepares laboratories and prep areas before each semester; cleans/disinfects all lab benches, glassware, utensils, and paraphernalia used in labs; cleans lab bench drawers; cleans/maintains microscopes.
- Ensures laboratory safety. Maintains first aid kits, spill kits, laboratory safety equipment, and an updated MSDS book. Takes part in proper disposal of all hazardous wastes. Boxes biological waste for disposal; manages chemical waste; coordinates transportation of waste for disposal. Maintains disposal records.
- Maintains laboratory safety procedures and regulations and responsible for departmental compliance with EPA, DOT, DEP, RCRA and OSHA regulations for storage, labeling, handling and disposal of chemicals.
- Performs administrative tasks associated with the science lab activities.
- Attend laboratory and department meetings.
- Submits lab receipts and paper work for processing.
- Updates and creates laboratory signage as needed
- Prepares lists, inventory reports, disposal records, service contracts, reports, forms, and general correspondence;
- Provide supervision to work study students when asked.
- Communicates and coordinates with supervisor, employees, other departments, students, faculty members, suppliers and vendors.
- Maintains professional knowledge in applicable areas and certifications. Receives training on new procedures and equipment as needed.
- Works up to 18 hours per week.
- Performs related duties as directed.
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Microbiology, or closely related field; with one (1) year experience and/or training involving laboratory operations; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts Driver's License.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent public relations and customer service skills.
- Familiarity and experience working in a diverse environment
- Higher education or industry experience is preferred.
- flexible schedule
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.mass.edu/clery.
Appointment is subject to SORI (Sexual Offense Registry Information) background check, and a publicly accessible Massachusetts CORI (Criminal Offense Registry Information) background check.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Send your letter of interest, resume and contact information for three references
Electronic submission is preferred.
For more information you may visit us at www.rcc.mass.edu or www.rcc.mass,edu/hr to find out more about employment at Roxbury Community College.