Academic Adviser - UMSON P-TECH Subaward grant
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2020-009
Posting Start Date: 1/31/2020
Minimum Education: Bachelors
Additional Documentation: YES
Compensation: Commensurate with Experience
Academic Adviser - UMSON P-TECH Subaward grantDescription/Job Summary
Overview: Under the general direction of the Dean, this position will be responsible for providing academic advising of undergraduate students in the Pre-Health Professions Pathways interested in completing the RN to BSN articulation and dual –enrollment programs.Responsibilities/Duties
- Provides academic advising of undergraduate students in the PTECH nursing pathway for completion in the BCCC nursing program
- Provides academic advising regarding all relevant curriculum areas- course requirements and selection, policies and procedures, scholastic standards, new freshman and transfer issues, as appropriate for students enrolled in the PTECH nursing pathway
- Facilitates PTECH nursing students’ academic progress by assessing their needs and developing appropriate educational plans
- Maintains student academic files to demonstrate academic progression metrics. The tracking activities include documentation of each PTECH student advising meeting sessions; electronic monitoring; enrollment, progression and graduation metrics and utilization of Gap analysis.
- Assists in the development and preparation of advising/educational materials in collaboration with the BCCC Nursing faculty and Marketing Department. The educational materials may include training manuals, brochures, handouts, general information summaries, and newsletters
- Collaborates with BCCC Nursing faculty, the Admissions and Student Affairs Division and Marketing Department to conduct information sessions and distribute educational/multimedia marketing materials regarding the PTECH nursing pathway top potential, current students, and other interested parties
- Maintains, collects and disseminates information to students, faculty and departments regarding advising strategies for academic strategies and academic support services.
- Participates in professional development activities, professional conferences, BCCC departmental meetings and advisory meetings
- Collaborate with BCCC Associate Dean, BCCC Nursing to develop faculty mentoring program; identify BCCC nursing faculty mentors to participate in this program.
- Collaborate with UNSON and BCCC to design and implement a marketing campaign to attract middle school students to PTECH programs at BCCC
- Perform other additional duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of group dynamics and student behavior
- Knowledge of a variety of teaching techniques
- Ability to teach and advise in a classroom lab setting
- Ability to assess educational needs and develop advisement plans
- Ability to interpret test data
- Ability to set educational goals and to define specific objectives
This position typically works indoors in a standard classroom/lab environment, generally free from hazardous or unpleasant physical conditions. Work involves observance of safety precautions typical of modern classroom/lab settings. The work environment is highly diverse and demands a high level of cultural competence in interpersonal communications and interactions.
The work entails sitting and standing for extended periods, frequent walking, bending, stooping, and reaching. Work requires eye-hand coordination, manual dexterity, near vision acuity, and the ability to see and read printed material and computer screens. Duties involve oral, written, electronic and telephonic communication; typing; and lifting and transporting supplies, materials and equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in counseling or related field
- Minimum of 1 year experience in academic advising or counseling
- Experience in an institution of Higher Education
- Experience with Canvas or other LMS
- Experience in outcomes assessment
- Experience designing marketing and education materials
- Experience in public speaking in an institution to students directly and in groups
- Experience in advising students pursuing health professions careers
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail