Assistant Professor of Physics
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Physics
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 218144
Job Summary The Department of Chemistry and Physics in the College of Arts and Sciences at Clayton State University is seeking applicants for an Assistant Professor of Physics position. The position is an academic year, tenure-track appointment that reports to the Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Physics. The successful candidate will ideally begin August 2020, but a January 1, 2021 will be considered. Salary will be commensurate with experience and competitive with comparable programs. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at the time of hire.
- Teach lower level physics sequences for STEM majors and for allied health majors.
- Teach upper level physics courses for STEM major and dual-degree engineering students
- Develop and teach upper-level physics courses.
- Engage in scholarly activity leading to presentation and publication.
- Develop proposals to support projects in undergraduate research and/or science education or have the ability to perform collaborative research at other institutions.
- Participate in service to Department, School, University and community.
- Serve as a career mentor for chemistry and pre-professional students.
- A doctoral degree in Astro-Physics or Physics with Astronomy (18 graduate credits) (ABD candidates near completion will be considered)
- Ability to teach a wide range of undergraduate physics and astronomy courses and laboratories
- The ability and desire to teach introductory astronomy courses.
- The ability and desire to teach introductory physics courses.
- The ability and desire to teach upper-level physics courses.
- A strong background in physics and astronomy.
- Successful college teaching experience
- The ability and desire to perform research with undergraduate students in the applicant’s area of expertise.
- Experience with diverse student populations
- A commitment to diversity
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in and ability to utilize technology in teaching and/or implementing courses using the internet
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, a brief description of research interests, unofficial transcripts, and the contact information for three current references.About Us
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Recourses at (678) 466-4230, or by email at [email protected].
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected].Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.