PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER I, BUMC Public Safety Tracking Code2020PSO Job Description
Boston University is a dynamic and vibrant urban research university in one of the country’s leading centers of innovation. We are a diverse community of students, faculty, staff and visitors from around the US and world on our three unique campuses: the Charles River Campus that occupies a two mile swath from iconic Kenmore Square to Packard’s Corner in the City of Boston, the Medical Campus located in the city’s dynamic South End and the Fenway Campus adjacent to the Longwood Medical Area. In recent years, Boston University has redoubled its efforts to foster a more inclusive environment, and the Department of Public Safety is actively advancing efforts to not only ensure the department reflects the rich diversity of the City of Boston, but is a department in which excellence is defined by how fully we embody these principles, as stated in the University’s Diversity Statement. BU actively strives to be an antiracist institution.
The Boston University Medical Campus Public Safety Department looks forward to welcoming a Public Safety officer who shares the department’s commitment to ensuring Boston University is inclusive, equitable, diverse and a place where every member of our community feels safe and supported. The Public Safety Officer reports to the Public Safety Operations Manager. They will be expected to accomplish assignments and tasks assigned by Supervisory/Management team to ensure that the University's operational needs are met in as efficient manner as possible. They provide security, parking control, and assigned duties as necessary. They ensure professional, courteous, fair, consistent, and safe service delivery throughout the University and assigned areas of responsibility.
The Public Safety Officer performs access control in accordance to University and Department Policies. They provide information and service to all faculty, staff, students, and visitors in a friendly, courteous, and helpful manner. They will be expected to respond immediately and appropriately to all emergency, contingency, or disaster situations and will respond as soon as possible to all calls assigned by the Public Safety Dispatcher and/or other appropriate entity. The Public Safety Officer shall document all incidents and inform Public Safety Dispatcher and/or Management of all actions taken. They will be trained to complete incident reports in a professional manner and shall be required to write in a clear and legible style.
Public Safety officers are required to maintain accountability and chain of custody of all property, evidence, and equipment that is issued or comes into their possession. They provide walking and vehicle escorts to ensure the safety of the requester in accordance with University policies. They patrol the University property and grounds, document and act upon all deficiencies and/or violations of policy. They will notify appropriate personnel and Management of serious incidents and will observe, evaluate, and act upon security camera monitoring and alarm systems.
In addition to the above requirements, Boston University Public Safety also seeks the following skills and experience:
- A friendly, courteous, helpful and professional attitude
- A demonstrated understanding of community policing within the context of the unique needs of a diverse, urban university community
- A proven ability to understand the ways culture, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, and other aspects of identity are essential and may impact engagement with security forces. Likewise, a proven ability to be sensitive to the cultural contexts in which we live, particularly in relation to increased incidents of racial bias, harassment, or other forms of discriminatory behavior.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license
- Good judgment and independent decision making
- Candidates will be required to pass a comprehensive criminal and financial background check, psychological examination and pre-employment medical exam
- Preferred experience in security or law enforcement
- Some knowledge of current computer operating systems
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills while addressing complex and/or dynamic situations, under stressful conditions or within limited time constraints
- Must be able to maintain clearances, training, and performance standards as prescribed by the University and Department.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories
The position will be required to perform duties in a variety of weather conditions and settings, including patrol, desk duty, vehicle, foot and or bike. This position requires work schedule rotations, mandatory shift assignments, work at night, weekends, and holidays.
This is a uniformed position.
This position has a 12-month Probationary Period. This position is part of a collective bargaining agreement after the probationary period.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular