Postdoctoral Research Associate (Patton Lab)
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Patton Lab)The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Postdoctoral Research Associate (Patton Lab).
Position Details LocationHattiesburg
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
United States DivisionPolymer Science and Engineering Position TypeStaff Employment StatusFull Time Grant FundedNo Posting Close DateOpen until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prospective candidates should apply online at jobs.usm.edu. Completeapplications require a 1) cover letter summarizing the candidate’s researchexperience and interest in the position, 2) a curriculum vitae and 2) contactinformation of three references.
A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory ofProf. Derek Patton in the School of Polymer Science and Engineering at theUniversity of Southern Mississippi. Research will focus on polymer synthesisand modification to support and promote a range of projects in the Patton lab, includingdegradable/upcyclable/reprocessable polymeric materials, antifouling materials,and/or multifunctional/multicomponent polymeric materials. Candidates with combined experience in small moleculeorganic synthesis, polymer synthesis, and polymer/materials characterizationare particularly encouraged to apply. This position is nottied to a specific external funding agency enabling flexibility in the natureof the research projects.
The position is immediately available for one-year with thepossibility of renewal for an additional year based on performance andavailability of funds. Review of applications will begin immediately and willcontinue until the position has been filled.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Synthesis of organic molecules, such as well-defined monomers, and characterization by standard methods including NMR, FTIR, etc.
- Design and synthesis of functional polymers via various polymerization techniques, such as photopolymerization, conventional and controlled free radical polymerization, along with postmodification of custom and/or commercially available polymers.
- Characterization of polymers by standard methods, including NMR, FTIR, GPC, TGA, DSC, DMA, mechanical testing, etc.
- Participate in creative problem solving, refinement of projects directions, and the development of research proposals
- Document and analyze data, publish in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and disseminate key results at conferences
- Assist with management and mentorship of graduate and undergraduate students and with general management of laboratory processes and equipment
- Work collaboratively in a team environment and interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues
- Comply with laboratory environmental, health and safety requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of scientific ethics
- Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. in Polymer Science andEngineering, Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineeringor closely related fields.
Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesThe candidate should have excellent communication skills (writtenand oral), demonstrated experience in polymer synthesis and characterizationevidenced by a strong record of peer-reviewed publications and conferencepresentations, and be willing and able to guide PhD and undergraduate studentsin an academic laboratory environment. The candidate should be self-motivated withthe ability to think and work independently to accomplish project goals.
Preferred Qualifications Knowledge in characterization techniques such as x-rayphotoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) is desirablebut is not a prerequisite for the position. About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.