Assistant Professor of Data Science and Business Analytics
Job location: JD Alexander Florida Polytechnic Main Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-06-24
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged. Job Title Assistant Professor of Data Science and Business Analytics Job Description Summary Our Department of Data Science and Business Analytics at Florida Polytechnic University, is looking for candidates with proven research/teaching records in Big Data Analytics.
Florida Polytechnic University opened for classes in 2014-15 and is the twelfth university in the Florida State University System. The University was created as a STEM-focused public university that offers high-value undergraduate and graduate degrees and that has intentional industry connections with a focus on economic development of the high-tech I-4 corridor. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive STEM workforce, Florida Polytechnic University blends traditional subject matter mastery with problem solving and laboratory experiences to provide students with learning opportunities applicable to both the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The University delivers its courses in small class sizes, emphasizes a positive student to faculty experience, and is dedicated to both its teaching and research mission.
Faculty are employed at Florida Poly via renewable, term defined appointments, codified in a collective bargaining agreement, that substantially mirrors tenure systems with reappointment and progression in rank upon completion of a significant review of accomplishments.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High-Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
The position requires individuals to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, including Big Data Analytics (with Hadoop, Spark, and related frameworks), Large Scale Data Mining and Statistical Learning, Data Warehousing, among other core courses in the department. The candidate is expected to develop a strong research program, conduct interdisciplinary research activities, mentor undergraduate and graduate students, and provide service to the university and the profession. Faculty at Florida Polytechnic University are encouraged to build strong industry relations to further high impact business and industry research. The successful candidate will contribute to the College’s goals and the University’s mission. The department is interested in candidates that are highly collaborative and collegial with a strong commitment to pursuing externally funded research and teaching at both graduate and undergraduate levels Job Description
- Ph.D. in Data Analytics, Computer Science, Statistics, Computational Science, Data Engineering or other closely related field.
- Credentials by degree and/or experience to support delivery of core courses in the department.
- Teaching and/or relevant industry experience
DESIRED / PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Qualified experience teaching and working with graduate students.
- Candidates should have a strong commitment to teaching excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent and interdisciplinary funded applied research.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- Experience with students’ academic advising.
- Experience in serving on various department, college or university committees.
- Active participation in professional activities and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse campus community.
- Well-defined research agenda and potential to publish in quality peer-review journals within the area of expertise.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to upload the following documents (combine all documents in one file if possible, 5MB max or five attachments):
- Letter of Application
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.