Adjunct Faculty: Mathematics Department
Category:: Adjunct Faculty
Department:: Mathematics Department
Locations:: Boston, MA
Posted:: Nov 22, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Adjunct Faculty
Ref. No.:: ADJ
Position ID:: 118496
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at several satellites and instructional sites throughout the Greater Boston area. The largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, BHCC serves some 18,000 students annually, focusing on holistic student services to ensure student retention and persistence. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry-specific training programs. BHCC is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Approximately 1000 international students attend from 100 countries, speaking more than 75 languages.
Five institutional goals guide BHCC and its work: Foster Student Success; Strengthen Career, Transfer and Workforce Readiness; Advance Diversity, Inclusion and Equity; Build Partnerships and Pathways; and Develop the College's Infrastructure. BHCC is recognized nationally for its culturally inclusive learning environments that value the strengths of diverse students and local communities, and, as an Achieving the Dream Leader College, BHCC is focused on data-driven student success.
LIVING IN BOSTON:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2018 was higher than the national average. Twenty-nine colleges and universities in Boston serve more than 150,000 college students each year. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
Adjunct Instructors Needed for Spring 2020 in the Math Department
We are seeking instructors to teach an accelerated math cluster:
MAT-098 Pre-Statistics and MAT-181 Statistics (Monday-Thursday 8:30-9:45AM at the Charlestown Campus)
This 6-credit accelerated cluster supports students in building foundational math skills while gaining college-level credit for Statistics.
The mission of the department is to provide mathematics instruction that meets the needs of learners with diverse backgrounds and varied educational goals.
The department curriculum includes three components:
- Developmental math courses for underprepared students
- Mathematics service courses for students in other disciplines which satisfy the general education criteria of degree and certificate programs
- Mathematics foundation courses for students majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (STEM)
The department strives to create an environment that fosters learner success, promotes academic excellence and prepares quantitatively and scientifically literate citizens. The department supports innovation and encourages faculty professional development.
- Master's degree in Math, Applied Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering (Applicants with a Master's degree in Education who have completed a minimum of 18 graduate credits in mathematics will also be considered. Applicants must submit their official transcript of record with their application)
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for teaching non-traditional students of all levels of academic preparation
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting an inclusive environment on campus
- Evidence of proficiency with instructional and communication technology
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
- Community college teaching experience preferred
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE INVITED TO ATTEND THE ADJUNCT ACADEMY PRIOR TO BEING ASSIGNED COURSES.
Salary: $1,140.00 per credit hour
Review Date: open until filled
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
- A Copy of your Unofficial Transcripts
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE