Job Summary: The Campus Security Officer is responsible for the general security of students, faculty, staff, visitors, and property. This is a 24-hour/7-day operation that involves shift work and rotating shifts. This position reports to the Chief of Police or designee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Projects positive image of the university and Campus Police and Safety Department by maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor with students, employees, and visitors
- Patrols campus grounds and buildings, checking doors, windows, and gates to ensure that they are secured. In addition, watches for any signs of fire or safety hazards
- Monitors and responds to fire alarms, and checks fire extinguishers
- Contributes to overall safety and security of students and employees by maintaining a uniformed presence and requesting police assistance when needed
- Gives directions, renders assistance, and provides information as requested
- Renders motorist services in the form of jump-starts, assisting in tire changes, and the calling of wreckers as requested
- Responds to incidents requiring documentation after hours, including but not limited to: stuck elevators, minor medical calls, maintenance emergencies, and fire alarms
- Provides walking escorts for any person who requests one from building to building, or to and from parking lots
- Responds to low-risk calls for service to assess scene and determine the need for police, fire, or EMS response
- Responds to maintenance emergencies (plumbing, power outage, etc.) after hours to document incident and protect university property until Plant Operations responds
- Locks/unlocks doors as needed on a regular schedule, and as requested by community members
- Works fixed-post positions or reception desks to provide security for buildings, and special events, as needed
- Assists FVSU police officers as directed within the scope of their ability to do so
- Enforces city and university regulations of a non-law enforcement nature (parking, smoking, etc.)
- Makes written reports regarding suspicious activity, safety hazards, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Education or GED required
- Valid Georgia driver's license and meet driving record criteria established by the Department
- Prior security experience in an educational, medical, or corporate environment is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making skills and the ability to think and act quickly
- Security experience in an educational, medical, or corporate environment
- Experience working on a college campus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in conjunction with the community in the furtherance of institutional goals, preferably in an educational environment
- Ability to exercise self-restraint and maintain composure under pressure or adverse conditions required.
- Ability to operate with limited supervision and maintain efficient, self-directed job functions necessary.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on good judgment on a frequent basis
- Skilled in conflict resolution and avoidance, and have exemplary public relations skills
- Work is performed primarily out-of-doors, and may require exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Has potential for exposure to potentially dangerous interpersonal situations, necessitating the observance of appropriate safety precautions
- Requires weekend, holiday, and shift work
- Must fully understand the role of a non-sworn guard in a support role to the FVSU police unit and know when to summon police assistance or fire/EMS help
- Job may be physically demanding at times and may require physical exertion including bending, reaching, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.
- Requires long periods of walking, standing, and sitting
- Requires the ability to defend oneself or a member of the community in exigent circumstances
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com