Adjunct Counselor (EOC)
Category:: Adjunct Positions - Non-Teaching Faculty
Department:: Westchester Educational Opportunity Center (WEOC)
Locations:: Yonkers, NY
Posted:: Nov 14, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Non-Teaching Faculty
Ref. No.:: WEOCAC111419
About Westchester Community College:
Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. Westchester Community College is more than just the county's largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors.
Under general supervision of the EOC Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, the Adjunct Counselor:
- Administers and interprets interest, aptitude and intelligence tests and conducts interviews to obtain information about personal, academic and work histories to determine students' placement in programs and their service needs;
- Provides guidance and counseling related to personal, academic and work matters and provides intervention services when indicated;
- Works with other EOC staff to assist in developing and monitoring student progress toward increasing effective retention and completion plans;
- Develops and monitors progress toward achieving educational and career plans with students;
- Provides crisis intervention referrals to external service agencies, when indicated;
- Monitors and evaluates students' progress in class and takes appropriate action to address any concerns; and,
- Documents counseling, case management, educational and career planning and other student interventions in student files, as appropriate.
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a non-specific field, a Master's degree in Guidance Counseling, Psychology, Sociology, or closely related field, and 2 years of professional experience, preferably working with non-traditional adult learners. S/he must be flexible and comfortable working in a fast paced and high stress environment.
HOURLY RATE OF PAY: $44.43 per hour. No benefits. This position is fully grant funded.
Applicants must apply online by submitting a letter expressing interest in this position and a resume. You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of hire. Please login to: https://sunywcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp in order to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents. The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.