Public Safety Sergeant - Essential
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Nov 13, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time Non-Exempt
Position ID:: 118145
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Director of Public Safety
Supervises: Public Safety Officers
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Public Safety, plans, assigns, coordinates, and supervises campus security, safety, parking & transportation for the College. Assures a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors on campus. Liaises with other campus departments and outside agencies and supervises assigned personnel.
This position supports the Mission statement of Mills College by delivering excellent support and services to students, staff and faculty. Through its operational excellence, it advances the initiatives of the strategic plan, by ensuring goals are established, monitored and measured to meet the plan's timelines and objectives. This position plays a significant role in supporting sustainability programs and creating a vibrant and inclusive campus life.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the College's security including community safety, parking enforcement, and escort services
- Assist in the scheduling of officers to ensure adequate shift coverage, vacation relief, and call-off replacement. Coordinates and schedules additional security at various special activities and events on campus
- Conducts shift meetings
- Participates in reviewing and updating the College's policies and procedures. Provides subject matter expertise to ensure they are accurate and enforceable
- Assists in the development of the department budget and evaluates and recommends new equipment, supplies or special materials to improve security enforcement
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; coordinates and/or delivers employee training; researches and develops training materials
- Monitors and ensures staff compliance with departmental policies, procedures, and applicable regulatory requirements
- Promotes Public Safety programs within the campus community; develops and maintains internal and external relationships with campus stakeholders, including various departments, student organizations, community groups, and local businesses
- Ensures all Public Safety activities are appropriately and timely documented in Report Exec for tracking and review
- Coordinates with other departments regarding program research; communicates the impact of new programs and/or new policies or procedures on individual departments and campus users
- Communicates and/or meets with the public to address complaints and safety issues; monitors and
- ensures appropriate follow up on public concerns
- Reviews all necessary administrative forms/reports related to Public Safety incidents and operations, approve reports written and submitted by officers, and assists Security Officers, as needed. Ensures reports are completed accurately and timely
- Liaises with law enforcement staff regarding crime prevention measures
- Attends and participates in various meetings pertaining to Public Safety operations and services
- Prepares and maintains a variety of narrative and statistical reports, records, and files related to campus safety programs and activities for submission to federal, state, and local agencies
- Provides the Director with a daily summary of Public Safety incidents and activities. Analyze data regarding security activities to determine patterns and effectiveness of security activities
- Inspect and maintain physical safety concerns on campus such as fire systems, lighting, fencing, sidewalks, roadways, gates, doors, windows, and landscaping
- Monitors enforcement of parking rules and issuance of violation tickets to include performance of traffic patrols
- Perform the requisite duties of Public Safety Officer as needed
- Performs related duties as assigned
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fill in with examples of common problem solving tasks associated with this position
- Fill in with examples of unusual or complex problems solving tasks associated with this
Other Essential Job Functions for Swing and Relief Sergeants:
- Provides notification to students departing from Mills of any scheduling adjustments due to unforeseen circumstances
- Ensures daily safety and maintenance inspection paperwork completed by shuttle and van drivers is delivered to the Mills Vehicle Technician M-F no later than 8:45 AM
- Coordinates routine and emergency maintenance of Vehicle Fleet with Automotive Technician to ensure the vehicles are safe and in good operating condition
- Supervisory principles and practices
- Clery Act, Title IX, and the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- Current public safety methods and procedures
- Current criminal codes and laws, and effective investigative techniques and procedures
- Safety policies, practices, procedures and requirements of the department, including the Illness & Injury Prevention Plan
- React in an emergency and make sound, rational decisions, demonstrating good judgment
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Plan, direct and supervise the work of others effectively
- Meet schedules and time lines
- Mediate conflict
- Work independently with little direction
- Communicate effectively through oral and written mediums
- Analyze processes and make recommendations for improvement
- Utilize computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting
- Work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of college students, faculty and staff
Education and Training:
Any combination equivalent to: AA Degree in criminal justice or related field and five years of progressively responsible experience as a full time public safety or law enforcement officer or a Bachelor's Degree and two years of progressively responsible experience as a full time public safety or law enforcement officer. A valid and current California driver's license and a good driving record. A valid California Guard Card or be able to obtain one.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects up to 30 lbs.
- Prolonged periods of sitting, standing, walking.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Must be able to traverse all types of terrain including up and down hills, and on off road uneven surfaces.
- Indoor and outdoor environment. Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- May be exposed to uncomfortable work spaces such as darkness or poor lighting, dirt/dust, fumes/odors, isolation, mechanical or traffic hazards.
- May be exposed to unpleasant social situations or hostile community response.
- Must remain calm and be able to deescalate volatile situations
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Pepper Spray
- Gate Controls
- Alarm Panels
- Patrol Bicycle
- Golf Cart
- Security Vehicle
- Multi-line Phone System
- Printer, Copier, Fax, Scanner
- Auto Battery Charger
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Wage is $23.32 per hour, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.