Director of Bands
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-27
The Department of Music at the University of Virginia seeks to hire an Assistant or Associate Professor, non-tenure track General Faculty to serve as Director of Bands. This is a full time, 12-month position. Start date is July 2021.
The Department of Music is the center of musical life at the University of Virginia. It offers students from diverse backgrounds opportunities to study music performance, composition, technology, theory, musicology, and ethnomusicology in its innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. It annually presents over 200 events ranging from student recitals, athletic events, and faculty ensemble performances to presentations by world-famous visiting artists and concerts by over fifteen official ensembles. The Cavalier Marching Band, established in 2004, is the department’s largest ensemble. It is comprised of 330 students pulled from 80 majors across the university. Its history of excellence on and off the field is supported by a dedicated faculty and staff and a robust tradition of student leadership.
- Direct the Cavalier Marching Band and the Wind Ensemble, along with a subset of other bands in the program (i.e. Basketball Bands, Olympic Sports Bands, and/or Concert Band.)
- Administer the band program, including managing band faculty and staff, repertoire, drill design and writing, rehearsals, performances, summer band camp, budgeting, recruiting, development, travel, facilities, and equipment inventory.
- Promote the musical, academic, and personal success of a large and diverse body of music students through collaboration with Music Department faculty, Athletics, the University, and student leadership to maintain a culture of discipline, respect, equality, and excellence.
- Teach academic courses in one’s area of specialization.
- Provide standard faculty service to the department, college, and university.
A Master’s degree in music is required. A doctorate in music is preferred. The successful candidate will have significant and demonstrable prior success in marching and concert band direction and evidence of successful management and leadership within a collegiate music program.
Review of applications will begin on January 11, 2021. For full consideration, please submit application materials before that time. The position will remain open until filled.
***Please note all documents must be uploaded in the resume box.***
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs search for requisition #R0011625 complete the application, and attach the following:
- Letter of application- a summary of the applicant’s qualifications, and suitability for the position; the potential to contribute to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion in ensembles, the classroom, and the department; and the potential for collaborative engagement with a departmental mission to integrate performance and scholarship in a holistic undergraduate education.
- Teaching Statement- a description of teaching method or philosophy as well as experience
- Curriculum Vitae
- The names of three referees.
- A list of links to videos of a wind ensemble performance, a wind ensemble rehearsal, and a marching band performance and a description of applicant’s role in each.
Please arrange to have three confidential letters of recommendation emailed or mailed directly to the Music Department care of Kim Turner at email@example.com or P.O Box 400176, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4176. Letters of recommendation from credentialing services such as Interfolio will be accepted.
Questions about this position should be directed to Kim Turner, McIntire Department of Music, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 434-924-6491. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to: Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor at email@example.com.
The University will perform background checks on all new faculty hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
UVA assists faculty spouses and partners seeking employment in the Charlottesville area. To learn more please visit https://dualcareer.virginia.edu. For more information about UVA and the Charlottesville community please see http://www.virginia.edu/life/charlottesville and https://embarkcva.com/.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.