About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Cook II
State Job Title: Cook II
Department: Dining Services
Job Code: H12X19
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 35 Weeks
Shift: 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Week One - Tuesday & Saturday / Week Two - Sunday & Thursday
The Cook II receives supervision from the Cook III or an employee of higher grade who provides instruction as required, policy guidance, assigns work and reviews performance.
The Cook II exercises direct supervision over, assigns work to, and reviews the performance of over fifteen cooks and kitchen personnel.
Salary: $1,485.09 By-weekly
Cooks work under exposure to extreme temperature conditions; work varied shifts and/or irregular hours (i.e. weekends, holidays, nights); work under exposure to such hazards as slippery floors and sharp equipment; lift and carry heavy objects.
General Statement of Duties:
The Cook II supervises and assists cooks and other kitchen personnel in large-scale quantity cooking; assists the Cook III in the daily operation of a kitchen; performs other related work as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Assists in the training and supervision of kitchen personnel in the preparation and cooking of meals following standard recipes and established procedures. In absence of the Cook III, assumes supervision of kitchen personnel.
- Works with the Cook III, or an employee of higher grade, to make substitutions in the menu when necessary due to a shortage of supplies or a change in the number of customers.
- Assists the Cook III with required record keeping using standard forms and procedures on such matters as food received, prepared, consumed, leftovers and meat waste.
- Communicates with the Cook III, or an employee of higher grade, on any menu problem.
- Measures and mixes ingredients during preparation according to recipes, using kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare complex dishes using established procedures.
- Instructs kitchen personnel in the proper use of all food preparation equipment to insure safe and efficient operation.
- Ensures the safe and sanitary storage of unused food to prevent spoilage; inspects work and storage areas for compliance with sanitation codes; reviews health regulations to determine requirements for food handling.
- Instructs kitchen personnel in proper portion control in preparation and service of food.
- Opens and/or secures the kitchen in the absence of the Cook III or unit manager.
- Trains storeroom personnel regarding items needed to be moved from storage to the food preparation areas.
- Provides on-the-job training for subordinate employees in the proper sanitary habits in the handling, preparation, serving and storage of food.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of supervision.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques used in food handling, storage, preparation, cooking and serving of food in large quantities.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in food handling, storage, preparation and cooking.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of utensils and equipment used in food preparation and cooking such as ovens, knives, stoves, steamers, fryolators, etc.
- Knowledge of the methods followed in the care and maintenance of utensils and equipment used in food preparation and cooking such as ovens, knives, ladles, pots, stoves, steamers, fryolators, etc.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished, the capabilities of subordinates and available resources; controlling work through periodic reviews a/or evaluations; determining subordinates' training needs and providing or arranging for such training; motivating subordinates to work effectively, reports behavioral and performance and/or performance issues of direct reporting staff.
- Knowledge of the proper quality, appearance and condition of foods.
- Skill in the use of equipment and utensils used for weighing and measuring food.
- Ability to assist others to interpret recipes.
- Ability to give and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to supervise, including planning and assigning work according to the nature of the job to be accomplished.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Knowledge of departmental, University, and state rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines relating to area of assignment and ability to apply them to unit activities.
- Knowledge of the American Dietetic Association codes, symbols and abbreviations.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in the preparation and cooking of food in a hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, catering firm, government or private institution, or (B) and equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below:
- A diploma or certificate from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school, at high school level or higher, with a major in culinary arts, food services or food trades may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.
License and/or Certification Requirements:
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within 90 days of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University (i.e. ServSafe).
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin November 18, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=117973
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency