Assistant Professor of Research - Public Health Sciences (Biostatistics)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-01-03
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Division of Biostatistics in the Department of Public Health Sciences is seeking an exceptional candidate with statistical experience for a non-tenure research track assistant professor position.
The division aims to provide advance scientific knowledge to benefit individual and population health by creating, disseminating, and implementing rigorous, innovative statistical methodologies across the entire spectrum of biomedical research. The candidate is expected to have interest in various areas of biostatistics, including but not limited to innovative statistical learning methods, statistical genomics/proteomics, and methods for big data. Participation in DPHS and MSOM research programs further enhances the efforts of division faculty, staff, and students to fulfill UM’s academic mission in education, research, and service.
The selected individual will be a faculty member in the Division of Biostatistics and will be engaged in both methodological and collaborative research with existing faculty, have a commitment to team science, and possess effective oral and written communication skills. The selected individual will also be expected to 1) teach within the University of Miami’s MPH and PhD Graduate Programs in Public Health and/or Biostatistics and 2) advise MPH and PhD Biostatistics students academically.
Candidates must possess a doctorate in biostatistics or statistics. They should be emerging scholars with evidence of a growing body of outstanding scholarship and a strong commitment to teaching. Candidate is also expected to develop and obtain an externally funded, independent research.
Candidates should have the ability to:
1. Build and develop an innovative biostatistical program of research.
2. Obtain external funding.
3. Represent the Division, Department, and the University at professional meetings in local communities, nationally, and internationally.
4. Motivate students in the MPH, MSPH and PhD graduate programs within the Department with innovative courses created to engage student in strategic thinking.
5. Publish seminal research findings in refereed, high impact journals, book chapters and books.
6. Collaborate with other faculty to obtain research funding for trans-disciplinary research.
7. Assist in the development of strategic partnerships with Departments at the University, particularly within the Medical School, but also with Departments, Centers, and Institutes throughout the University.
1. PhD degree with graduate training in biostatistics or statistics. Postdoctoral
experience preferred but not required.
2. Evidence of statistical methodology publications.
3. Effective oral and written communication skills including teaching experience,
presentations at scientific meetings. Independent teaching experience at
biostatistics/statistics graduate level preferred.
4. Demonstrated ability to lead innovative research projects to successful conclusions.
5. Evidence of being able to secure and sustain extramural funding.
All applicants must apply online.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:FacultyPay Grade:50