Faculty Positions for the 2020–2021 Academic Year, VCUarts
Faculty Positions for the 2020–2021 Academic Year
Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts is seeking collaboratively minded colleagues for a variety of full-time faculty positions. Ideal candidates are committed to working within and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and possess qualifications, experience and demonstrated strengths in their area(s) of expertise. Creative innovators who want to contribute to the progressive spirit of VCUarts are invited to express their interest in the following opportunities:
- Hamad bin Khalifa Endowed Chair in Islamic Art – 9-month position with an open rank. Tenure eligible. PhD in Art History or a related field required.
- 9-month Assistant or Associate Professor with a specialization in clay. Tenure eligible. MFA or equivalent training and professional experience required.
Fashion Design and Merchandising
- 9-month Assistant Professor. Non-tenure eligible. Master’s degree preferred, or professional, high-level fashion industry experience and training which equates to a graduate degree. Requires demonstrated strengths across fashion merchandising and design. Primary teaching responsibilities in the fashion merchandising track.
- 9-month Assistant Professor of Clarinet. Tenure eligible. Doctorate in clarinet performance required.
- 9-month Assistant Professor of Choral Music Education/Assistant Director of Choral Activities. Tenure eligible. Doctorate in music education required.
Painting + Printmaking
- 9-month Assistant Professor of Painting and Drawing. Tenure eligible. MFA or equivalent training and professional experience required.
Sculpture + Extended Media
- Department Chair – 12-month, tenure-eligible position with an open rank. Master’s degree or equivalent academic or arts administrative experience is required.
- Technical Director – Assistant Professor, non-tenure eligible. MFA in theatre with an emphasis on technical direction or technical theatre, or an equivalent combination of training and professional experience required.
- 9-month Assistant or Associate Professor of Costume Design. Tenure eligible. MFA or equivalent training and professional experience required.
- 9-month Assistant or Associate Professor of Movement. Tenure eligible. MFA or equivalent training and professional experience required.
VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) in Richmond, Virginia, offers a variety of graduate and undergraduate degrees in design, fine and performing arts, art history, and art education, with a unique emphasis on creative immersion. Far more than simply receiving an education or preparation for a career; students leave VCUarts with the practical, professional and personal skills needed to make a life in the arts—no matter how they define it. That is why VCUarts’ programs emphasize both doing and knowing; why the majority of its faculty are working artists, designers, performers and scholars; and why they encourage students to take advantage of the many academic and intellectual opportunities that come with being part of a research university. Today, VCUarts graduates can be found throughout the academic and professional fields and have been recognized with everything from Emmy awards to MacArthur Fellowships.
VCUarts is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, the National Association of Schools of Dance, the National Association of Schools of Music, the National Association of Schools of Theatre, the Virginia Department of Education, the Council for Interior Design Accreditation and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
VCUarts is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and inclusive environment. The school strongly encourages applications from all racial, ethnic, gender and social identities. VCUarts faculty provide leadership by mentoring students, and by fostering collaborative and hybrid curriculums and research across the arts and broader campus. They demonstrate through research, teaching, and public engagement the richness of diversity in the learning experience, integrating multicultural approaches and perspectives into their instructional methods.
Candidates for tenure-eligible positions must have an established research agenda and the interest or potential to develop external funding as appropriate. Candidates must also have the potential to complement and expand existing expertise in the department(s) through scholarship or creative expression.
Position announcements, qualifications, and application instructions are available online at VCU Jobs: vcujobs.com.
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to providing accessible and equitable living, learning and working environments free from discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or disability.