Network Systems Administrator
Job Title: Network Systems Administrator
Status: Exempt position with a 12 month schedule
Reports To: Network Manager
Overview: This position has primary responsibility to ensure that campus network connectivity is available, reliable and secure and that clients are supported in their networking needs. Responsibilities include ongoing installation, maintenance, and administration of network hardware, software, and security. As a campus expert, this position stays abreast of trends and recommends solutions to enhanced performance and experience for the campus community.
- Perform network administration such as account management, monitoring of network performance and network security.
- Responsible for the installation, administration and maintenance of network hardware and software as well as wireless infrastructure hardware and software.
- Perform duties related to the administration and management of system backup and restore processes, services, hardware and software.
- Administer IP address assignment and management
- Oversees the campus’ VLAN deployment. Monitors the system and provides support and troubleshooting as needed.
- Responsible for the configurations, monitoring and maintenance as well as hardware inventory management for switches, patch cords, GBICs, and other related products.
- Performs a variety of duties related to virtual environment administration and management including: VMware environment administration and management, ESX host builds and configuration, patching and security monitoring, host upgrades, resource monitoring and management, and SAN management and monitoring
- Perform network administration such as user access, account management, monitoring of network performance and network security.
- Responsible for daily monitoring, maintenance and upgrades of intrusion detection, SIEM Server and server event logs as well as routine remote network scanning (NMap), implementation, administration, and management of MFA and PAM solutions and administration of all security policies (password policies, file permissions, ACLs, etc)
- Provides daily server operations support and administration including server builds and configurations, patching and security monitoring, and server upgrades and migration.
- Provides additional general ITS support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or network certification, or extensive experience is required.
Skills & Experience:
- 3 - 5 or more years of experience in networking.
- Working knowledge of VLAN, VMWare, Active Directory, SAN management and enterprise backup\restore systems
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Experience with SIEM, intrusion detection, multifactor and PAM technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to explain technical concepts in non-technical terms.
- Strong desire and aptitude to learn new technologies.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to analyze an issue, determine the optimal solution, test, implement and document.
- Personable with a positive attitude and strong customer service focus
- Productive working individually, as a team member, or project lead
- Must be able to lift and maneuver up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis across campus.
- Standing in and walking between work areas is frequently required.
- Ascend/descend and work on a ladder to access and maintain equipment.
- Regularly sit, reach, lift, kneel, stoop, crawl, and crouch for an extended time in order to repair, maintain, and administer network connectivity or equipment.
- Walk throughout campus, climb/descend stairs and travel through narrow or tight spaces in order to problem solve and access or maintain equipment.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment.
Physical Working Conditions:
- Occasional exposure to inclement weather or temperature conditions
- Work within confined spaces according to Augustana’s safety requirements which may require the use of protective clothing, equipment and devices
- Work within overhead or elevated spaces
- Occasional before and after hours required
Additional Requirements: This position requires a valid driver’s license. Successful candidates must complete a criminal background check.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.