Assistant Professor of Art ~ Drawing & Painting
The Art & Design Department invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin August 2020. The department seeks candidates committed to undergraduate teaching excellence at a comprehensive institution that supports both liberal arts curricula and professional programs. Candidates will teach all levels of undergraduate students in the areas of drawing and painting.
Applicants should have an MFA in Drawing, Painting, or related field and demonstrated active professional creative practice in drawing, painting, or related fields as evidenced by exhibition record, awards, grants, or commissions.
The successful candidate is expected to teach Drawing I and II, Figure Drawing, and Painting, and may also include 2D Foundations and Watercolor. Additional responsibilities include advising, participation in service to the department and college, and community engagement.
Required minimum qualifications:
• MFA in drawing, painting, or related field
• Record of accomplishment via exhibition, awards, grants, commissions, etc.
• Portfolio of work demonstrating expertise in drawing, painting, and other media
• Demonstrated ability to teach observational drawing
• A broad knowledge of contemporary and historical movements and current trends, issues, techniques, and mediums related to 2D media
• Engaging teaching ability
• Minimum of three years teaching experience (post-graduate) as instructor of record in Drawing, Painting, or related courses
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to collaborate with students, faculty, and campus administration
• Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity and inclusion
Additional position responsibilities:
• Teach up to 3 courses each semester
• Develop and update coursework to keep curricula current/relevant
• Provide student support and academic advisement
• Evaluate student performance and assist with program curriculum assessment
• Engage in ongoing personal professional and faculty development
Nazareth College an independent, comprehensive institution with 2,100 undergraduate and 800 graduate students, prepares its graduates to serve local and global communities through a wide range of liberal arts and professional programs. Nazareth seeks to hire faculty with a demonstrated commitment to excellent teaching, student success, and civic engagement, and an understanding of the educational benefits of ethnic and racial diversity in the campus community. The college is located minutes from downtown Rochester, New York, a city noted for its rich arts and cultural community and its international businesses and industry. Applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged. EOE