Director of Health Services
Oct 17, 2019
Strong Leadership for Student Health
Pratt Institute is continuing its search for a Director of Health Services and is seeking a strong leader with excellent administrative and clinical skills who can inspire and provide direction to a staff dedicated to supporting students. The next Director must have: the skills to seek out and understand best practices in the field of Student Health; the ability to analyze and understand data related to Pratt students and their needs; the passion to supervise, engage, and motivate clinical and administrative staff; and the desire to collaboratively develop and implement a plan that takes Health Services to the next level.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced clinician with strong administrative expertise to work alongside the staff and have a positive impact on the Pratt student community. The Director collaborates closely with the Directors of Counseling and the Learning/Access Center to provide an integrated response to the needs of students. To be successful, the Director will be a leader, manager, planner, advocate, collaborator, and clinician. Health Services is poised to move forward and identify innovative solutions to supporting the success of a diverse, multinational, and creative student body.
The Director of Health Services reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs and works with other leaders in the Division in their efforts to address the holistic wellbeing of the students. As the Institute begins a planning process looking toward the future, the Director and other leaders across campus will have the exciting opportunity to envision, share, and advocate for the facilities and resources that will enhance services and programs while adjusting to the changing needs of students.
Overview of Responsibilities
The Director will be responsible for providing administrative and supervisory management of Health Services and for supporting and implementing high quality student health services for all Pratt students. Health Services provides a range of clinical services, education and consultation, after-hours emergency response, and crisis intervention. The Director will ensure processes are in place to meet these expectations. The Director has oversight for policies and procedures while ensuring that all institutional, state, and federal policies and reporting requirements are met. A limited amount of direct patient care will also be provided by the Director. Specific responsibilities include:
- Supervise nursing and support staff, including individual clinical supervision, group case management, chart review, and oversight of records and statistics.
- Directs the work operation, develops performance standards, reviews and makes performance evaluations, provides guidance to staff, and approves personnel actions within the department including promotions, hiring, and disciplinary.
- Develop and implement departmental policies and procedures.
- Review, approve, and track medical leaves/withdrawals in collaboration with the Student Affairs Care Manager.
- Provide consultation services for students, faculty, and staff.
- Maintain and enhance collaboration with Counseling Services, the Learning/Access Center, and the Student Affairs Care Manager.
- Co-facilitate weekly case management meetings and supervises regular referrals and consultations between departments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with appropriate referral agencies and individual practitioners.
- Develop and oversee the departmental budget.
- Oversee the immunization processes. Oversee the student insurance program in partnership with Student Financial Services.
- Maintain liaison with local medical centers and health care professionals.
- Ensure compliance with hazardous waste removal guidelines.
- Serve as liaison to consulting medical providers.
- Maintain a medical supplies inventory.
- Serve on the Institute Assessment and Care Team.
- Provide Emergency Crisis response.
- Provide direct patient care (i.e., perform physical examinations, diagnose and treat acute and chronic health problems; perform and interpret diagnostic tests; prescribe medication; administer injections and immunizations; and refer patients as appropriate).
- Educate students on positive health behaviors and self-care skills, develop outreach programs, and participate in training of residence and orientation staff.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Licensed Nurse Practitioner or other medical professional (current license and registration must be from, or transferable to, New York State)
- Master's degree in Nursing in Family Health or Adult Health or other appropriate medical degree
- Applicable National Board Certification (such as ANCC, AANP, or equivalent)
- A current American Heart Association BLS/ACLS certification, an Infection Control Certificate, and a current DEA Registration Certificate
- A minimum of five years of related administrative experience
- A minimum of seven years of clinical experience, including two years as a certified Nurse Practitioner or equivalent in other fields
- Understanding of, and commitment to serving, a broad range of diversity and to ensuring the provision of culturally competent and appropriate care to all students
- Knowledge of and experience using an electronic health records management system
- Excellent interpersonal skills with knowledge and sensitivity to work with a diverse and multicultural population
- Experience working in a college health center
Salary is competitive and dependent on qualifications.
Pratt Institute is a global leader in higher education that prepares its undergraduate and graduate students for successful careers in art, design, architecture, information, and liberal arts and sciences. With a total enrollment of over 4,700 domestic and international students, Pratt recognizes the strength that stems from a diversity of perspectives, ideas, backgrounds, approaches, and experiences. We aspire to continue to grow as a community that always welcomes and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to contribute to and be part of Pratt culture. Pratt's students are gifted artists with a passion for social justice, community engagement and thoughtful dialogue, inclusion and acceptance of difference.
Founded in 1887, Pratt Institute is located in a cultural hub with historic campuses in Brooklyn and Manhattan, as well as a campus in Utica, New York (Pratt MWP College of Art and Design). Pratt has an esteemed faculty of accomplished professionals and scholars who challenge their talented students to transform their passion into meaningful expression.
Additional information about Pratt Institute may be found at www.pratt.edu.
Keeling & Associates, LLC is supporting Pratt Institute in this search. Confidential inquiries and nominations should be directed to Jeff Ewing, Senior Consultant for Executive Search, at [email protected].
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must include a resume and a cover letter addressing the desired experiences, qualifications, and interest in serving the Pratt student body. Candidate materials must be submitted using Pratt's online application system.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.