Research Assistant - Cheatham Lab
Posting InformationPosition Information Position TypePermanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?NoPosition TitleSoc/Clin Research Assistant - ContributingWorking TitleResearch Assistant - Cheatham LabPosition Number20030226Vacancy IDP010975Budgeted Hiring Range$32,000 - $36,000Pay Band Information
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade EquivalentGN07Full-time/Part-time Permanent/Time-LimitedFull-Time Time-LimitedIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointment1 yearHours per week40Work Schedule
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Evenings and weekends occasionally
The Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) is a freestanding research institute that is approximately 2 hours from Chapel Hill (20 minutes from Charlotte). It is part of a major collaborative effort (funded by the State of North Carolina) between UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Charlotte, UNC Greensboro, NC Agricultural & Technical University, NC Central University, and North Carolina State University. NRI focuses on using cutting edge genomic and metabolomic biotechnology to develop innovative approaches to understanding the role of diet and activity in normal brain development, the prevention of cancer, and the prevention and treatment of other chronic diseases.Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description
THIS IS A TIME LIMITED POSITION: APPROXIMATELY ONE (1) YEAR
This Research Assistant position will be part of the Cheatham Laboratory, which investigates how nutrition can improve children’s brain function. Specifically, the team studies the importance of nutrients for the development of memory and attention abilities. This position will be responsible for identifying and recruiting infants to participate in ongoing studies, running study sessions, collecting and summarizing data, maintaining databases, and operating and maintaining scientific equipment. The position will involve the identification of study populations and recruitment of participants; IRB and HIPAA training will be provided.
Note: This position is located in Kannapolis, NC (near Charlotte), approximately 2 hours from the UNC main campus in Chapel Hill.Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Working knowledge of developmental cognitive neuroscience research procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of informed consent.
- Experience managing large databases.
- Demonstrated strong verbal communication skills, both in-person and over the phone.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills and professionalism, including the ability to build rapport with a variety of diverse populations.
- Must have reliable transportation in order to attend local speaking engagements and to deliver study materials.
- Familiarity with EGI electrophysiology system.
- Familiarity with elicited imitation protocols.
- Must be able to lift infants and toddlers up to 30 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Social/Clinical Research Assistant position.
- Bachelor's, Master's, and/or Doctorate in any field.
- Associate's in any field and at least 2 years of experience.
- Combination of post-high school education and experience to equal at least 4 years of related experience (ex: 1 year towards a degree and 3 years of experience).
- High School diploma/GED and at least 4 years of related experience.
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and experience to equal 8 years. (ex. 3 years of high school and 5 years of experience).
- None of the above
- * This position is located in Kannapolis, NC (near Charlotte). Are you able to work in Kannapolis?