The Grainger College of Engineering: Director of the Innovation Leadership and Engineering Entr...
Director of Innovation and Engineering Entrepreneurship (ILEE) Program
Office of Associate Dean for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Internal to College Search
The Grainger College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks a highly accomplished scholar and strategic leader to serve as the Director of the Innovation Leadership and Engineering Entrepreneurship (ILEE) Program, including the ILEE bachelor’s degree, courses, graduate and undergraduate certificates, and concentrations. The ILEE Program is at an exciting time in The Grainger College of Engineering with the ILEE bachelor’s degree, offered as a dual degree, as one of the newest degrees offered by the College and the only degree of its kind offered by a peer college in the country. The Technology Entrepreneur Center (TEC) previously housed ILEE courses and certificates before the creation of the ILEE degree and program in 2016. Since the launch of the TEC in 2000, there has been rapid growth in students taking ILEE courses with approximately 1,200 students taking ILEE courses annually today. For more information on ILEE Program, please visit our website at https://tec.illinois.edu/academics.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University commitment to diversity, please visit: https://engineering.illinois.edu/about/diversity.html.
The Director is a tenured faculty member in The Grainger College of Engineering who reports to the Associate Dean for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Applicants must possess an earned doctorate in a relevant field, as well as demonstrate strong record of teaching and a scholarly record as a tenured faculty member in The Grainger College of Engineering. The position has responsibilities for leading the ILEE faculty in curriculum development, student engagement, teaching, as well as engaging with industry, private foundations and alumni to advance the success and excellence of the ILEE Degree and certificate programs. The position also has oversight for administrative, budgetary and promotion decisions for the ILEE Degree Program specialized faculty and staff.
The successful candidate will:
- Advocate and collaborate with college leadership for the ILEE financial, human, and operational resources to ensure the overall health and success of the academic unit
- Provide oversight and supervision of the advising office
- Provide oversight of course scheduling, course demand projections
- Evaluate transfer applications with the advising team
- Handle special student circumstances, requests, exceptions, complaints, including interfacing with parents as appropriate
- Work with the college on evaluating and deciding student probation and drop status, withdrawals, and petitions for readmission
- Handle academic integrity appeals - talk with students, make final decisions based on appeal committee findings
- Manage the study abroad, transfer course and other dual-degree course articulation matters
- Interact with other departments on courses and operational issues related to execution of existing academic programs
- Give admitted student day talks and other talks to represent ILEE undergraduate program (e,g., Eng 101)
- Work with advancement team to help arrange demonstrations or content for visits by programs such as WYSE, Discover Engineering, among others
- Work with ILEE curriculum committee as subcommittee of Executive Committee
- Teach TE100 Introduction to ILEE, and/or other ILEE courses as needed
- Act as a resource to faculty on matters related to ILEE curriculum and teaching
- Perform other duties as appropriate to the position
This appointment carries a 12-month administrative stipend for up to half-time (50%) effort that is accompanied by the full-time, tenured faculty appointment with full University benefits. To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position and a statement on commitment to diversity, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references, all as a single PDF file. The statement on diversity should address past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion through research, teaching, and/or service. Complete applications should be received by November 8, 2019, for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or 217-333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:1-Faculty Title:The Grainger College of Engineering: Director of the Innovation Leadership and Engineering Entrepreneurship (ILEE) (122645) Open Date:10/18/2019 Organization Name:Technology Entrepreneur Ctr