Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS04178PWorking TitleLead PainterDepartmentFMD Structural Support ShopAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The UGA Facilities Management Division is the largest of 7 divisions reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The exceptional staff of over 800 personnel within the Facilities Management Division manage, operate and maintain campus landscapes, buildings and infrastructure to promote the long-term sustainability of the University of Georgia.College/Unit/Department websitefmd.uga.eduPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Some night and/or weekend work may be required to meet departmental goals, deadlines, and/or emergencies.Advertised SalaryCommensurate with experiencePosting Date10/17/2019Open until filledNoClosing Date11/06/2019Proposed Starting Date12/02/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleSkilled CraftspersonPay GradeFLSAJob FamilyTradesFTE1.0Minimum Qualifications
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, formal training programs, or on-the-job training. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications
High School Diploma or GED Completion CertificatePosition Summary
This is painting work of journeyman level. Work includes assignments requiring employment of all standard trade practices and skills. The work often includes finishing surfaces where standards of beauty, harmony, and workmanship are exacting. The work is performed under general direction and is subject to inspection while in progress and upon completion for appearance and durability. The Lead Painter manages waste paint products for all UGA Campus construction, maintenance, renovation and repair sites. The incumbent is also responsible for leading the work assignments of other painters, maintaining employee attendance records and acting as a first responder to campus customers. This position may also serve as an assistant to the shop foreman and covers the department operations during his absence.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Considerable knowledge of the characteristics and uses including mixing and blending of various kinds of paints, varnishes, enamel, and shellacs.
- Considerable knowledge of proper methods of preparing various surfaces for painting and finishing.
- Some knowledge of glazing and paper hanging techniques.
- Skill in painting with hand brushes, rollers, and spray guns.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and all other duties as required by supervisor and/or foreman.
*Ability to identify waste to determine proper disposal.
*Knowledge of regulations and procedures for the proper disposal of hazardous (paint) waste.
*Ability to learn, understand and apply environmental regulations.
- Standing, walking, stooping, squatting, climbing stairs, working from standard, extended ladders and/or scaffolding and lifting up to 75 lbs. during a normal 8-hour work shift.
- Working under adverse weather conditions (heat, rain cold)
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Classify, prepare and consolidate hazardous materials for removal and transport in accordance with regulations as set forth by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Generate Manifest. Schedule pick-up and transport of hazardous waste. Package waste paint for shipment in accordance with applicable regulations. Maintain records reflecting quantities and waste shipments.Percentage of time30 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Paint Campus street signs and departmental signage in spray booth. Maintain log of spray booth paint used.Percentage of time30 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Refinishes furniture, casework and doors for the Cabinet Shop.Percentage of time20 Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Responsible for shop warehouse; ordering stock, releasing stock and maintaining records.Percentage of time20Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a High School Diploma or GED Completion Certificate?
- No Response
- Yes, I have a High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- No, I do not have a High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- * Do you possess a valid driver's license?
- No Response
- * Are you willing to lift 75 lbs, climb stair, walk, stand, balance, stoop, bend, squat, work with hands above head, work from a standard and/or extended ladder and scaffold frequently throughout an 8 hour shift, 5 days a week?
- No Response
- * Are you willing to work outside under adverse weather conditions (such as rain, hot, or cold weather)?
- No Response
- * Do you have at least two years experience in the painting trade or equivalent training? Briefly describe your experience, including years of experience and applicable training.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter