Custodial Facilities Maintenance Worker CL1, Portland, 2nd shift, Part-time
The University of Southern Maine is looking for motivated individuals to join our Custodial team! We are currently accepting applications for a part-time, 2nd shift custodial position in our Facilities Management department on the Portland campus.
Are you interested in completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree? Or are you in the planning stages of sending your dependents to college? If you answered yes to either of these questions, the University of Southern Maine’s Custodial department might be the right fit for you. This position offers a 20 hour work week, part-time benefits and a tuition discount for employees and their spouse/eligible dependents.
If transportation is a concern or if you are looking to be more friendly to our environment, then an added benefit is USM’s partnership with Greater Portland METRO, which offers employees access to the METRO system for free (with USM Campus ID Card). This includes the new Husky Line with service to and from our Gorham campus. Details can be found here: https://usm.maine.edu/maps-parking-transportation/metro-husky-line
Pay is $11.55/hr (+$0.40 shift differential) and offers a highly competitive benefits package that includes: vacation, sick and holiday pay, health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, a tuition waiver program for employees and their spouse or dependent child(ren), a 403(b) retirement plan and more.
The work schedule is Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday 4pm-9pm.
We live our USM Service Promise of Student Focused Every Day and we are looking for a team member who demonstrates a commitment to this promise each and every day, and who supports our values: Respect & Care, Integrity, Equity and Responsiveness.
We are the University of Everyone – committed to building a culturally diverse team of leaders, faculty and staff. We welcome applicants who are multilingual. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Statement of Job: Employees in this classification are responsible for performing manual work necessary to maintain cleanliness, orderliness, appearance and sanitation of University campus grounds, roads, walks and buildings. Work is performed according to defined policies, procedures and standards under both written and verbal instructions. Individual makes decisions that affect the manner and speed in which the elements of an operation are performed. This is an essential position in which winter hours are weather dependent and the employee will be required to report to work during inclement weather and administrative holidays.
Essential Job Functions (includes but not limited to):
- Cleans fixtures, furnishings and facilities in and around campus buildings in accordance with Facilities Management’s standard cleaning program. Work may occasionally involve cleaning up human waste.
- Operates a variety of cleaning equipment, uses cleaning chemicals and materials to maintain the cleanliness of assigned area(s).
- Performs heavy lifting in the removal of trash, moves furniture and equipment to perform cleaning tasks.
- Climbs ladders up to 12 feet to perform necessary cleaning and for light bulb removal and replacement.
- Unlocks and secures buildings as required.
- Reports maintenance issues and equipment failures as appropriate.
- Maintains inventory levels within assigned area(s).
- Typically requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, pulling, pushing, reaching, grasping, standing, and repetitive motions.
- Works effectively and cooperatively with members of the Facilities Management staff, University administration, the campus community, and external clients and customers.
For a complete job description, click here.Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Proven ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Effective communication skills
- Proven experience getting along with co-workers, supervisors and building occupants
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision
- Must be capable of lifting and carrying equipment and materials up to 50 pounds frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Must be capable of standing for long periods of time and flexible enough for bending and reaching
- Cleaning experience in classroom and office buildings and experience working under a defined cleaning program
- Previous experience operating custodial cleaning equipment
Want to know more about employment, benefits and local resources? Our Employment webpage has additional information to help you become more familiar with developing a new career at USM as well as exploring everything the Greater Southern Maine area has to offer.
Materials must be submitted via "Apply for position." You will need to create an applicant profile, complete an application which includes contact information for three professional references.
All required materials must be submitted by October 25, 2019
Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.
The University of Southern Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Equal Opportunity Office, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
Work Year Calendar:Fiscal Year (12 Months)