Assistant Professor Art + Design, Design Studies
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeTenured/Tenure-Track FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleAssistant Professor Art + Design, Design StudiesSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate upon experiencePosition Number00102967Work ScheduleVariesFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department120501 - Art and DesignDepartmentArt and DesignJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Art + Design is a department that values interdisciplinary perspectives and experimental inquiry through making. We encourage cross-disciplinary collaborations, questioning traditional practices, and exploring the future of the virtual and material world. We offer a Bachelor of Art + Design, studio based, a Master of Art + Design, studio based, and a Bachelor of Arts in Design Studies, which is a non-studio based liberal arts degree. With these distinct tracks we encourage overlap and cross-disciplinary work among students and faculty. We produce students who push the boundaries of experimental media in the pursuit of unique and innovative design paths.
The Department of Art + Design is uniquely situated at NC State University in the College of Design in Raleigh, NC—voted top 10 most livable cities by USA Today (USAToday, 2017). We value human-centered and community-engaged work, and we reflect the benefits of a diverse faculty and student population. Additionally, the College of Design is home to two doctoral programs, a PhD in Design and a Doctor of Design, providing conduits for advanced study across disciplinary boundaries.Essential Job Duties
The Department of Art + Design within the College of Design seeks a full-time tenure track faculty position to teach and produce scholarship in the discipline of Design Studies. As an emerging field, design studies at NC State produces students who are critical and creative thinkers, applying design research and processes to practical solutions of society’s confounding challenges. The successful candidate for this position will be passionate about contributing to advancing the field through course and curricular development, student mentorship and active scholarship.
Applicants will teach in related areas of Art and Design Theory, History, Design Thinking, and/or Criticism.
Applicants with expertise in one or more of the following fields: design research methods, emerging media and material studies and design thinking.
Full-time teaching load is 6 – 18 credit hours per year.
Position will engage in service to the Department, College, and University community.
Position provides academic advising to students in the degree program, collaborates with faculty and staff in teaching, scholarship, and research efforts.Other Work/Responsibilities
Participate in departmental service, advising grad research, project and dissertation preparation; student advising, curriculum development, admissions advising, student events, and other collective initiatives.Minimum Education/Experience
Applicants are expected to have a PhD or other terminal degree (MFA, MAD, MGD, MID, MArch, MLArch) in related design discipline with an emphasis on art and design, history, theory and design thinking.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Applicants with MFA or PhD in other fields, but with experience teaching Design Studies will be considered.Departmental Required Skills
- Strong grounding in formal design principles, design process, design thinking, creative problem solving, critical theory, and critiquing skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to teach in related areas of art and design theory, history, and/or design criticism.
- Areas of scholarship to include addressing the social and practical impact of art and design, the ability to think and write critically about design, and a clear understanding of “the relationship of making to thinking” in regards to art, design, and the design process.
- Demonstrated awareness of the relationship between art and design.
- Ability to provide academic and curriculum advising to undergraduate and graduate students, including both majors and minors in the Art + Design program.
- Ability to lead in course development and other responsibilities related to the implementation of the Design Studies Program.
- Demonstrated academic expertise in art and design theory, history, criticism of design, design research, scholarly writing, visual, and cultural studies.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate student learning and writing at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Track record of published writing for professional and scholarly journals and conference papers, etc.
- Interest in areas of entrepreneurship and business of design.
- Extensive understanding of the making process and studio culture.
- Two to three years of experience teaching design theory/criticism, design research and/or experimental media studies, teaching 2-D design, and teaching 3-D design.
- Experience delivering both large scale lecture courses and small scale seminars.
- Experience in teaching assignments made on a semester-to semester basis according to the needs of the program and departments.
- Exposure in experimental media studies, material culture studies and/or museum studies.
- Capability of developing Design Research, Theory and History of Art and Design courses.
- Experience in working collaboratively with other artists, designers, and museums and/or exhibits.
- Interest in applying an interdisciplinary approach to teaching Design Studies.
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and a brief statement of teaching philosophy.
In addition to the required application materials listed above, candidates should also attach samples of creative work, such as a portfolio with a maximum of 20 examples included, examples of student work under ‘other document (1)’. Samples can be provided by web link (preferred; attach link to ‘other document (1)’) or mailed DVD. DVDs may be mailed to Art + Design Department, College of Design, NCSU, CB 7701, Raleigh, NC 27695.Job Open Date10/17/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/01/2020AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Brief Statement of Teaching Philosophy and Research Interests
- Other Document (1)